Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:10 am

I wonder if this contact form works:

http://thevines.com/contact/

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:46 pm

platinum wrote:
I wish Craig and the guys were a little more interactive with the world. They seem to just want the music to speak for itself...do some interviews, guys!!!

They have done some interviews! People have already posted some of them. Here are some others I'm not sure have been posted on the forum yet: 

Craig on Wicked Nature (track by track commentary)

Interview with Tim John

-

I agree with most of you guys in saying that the first disc is better than the second, but I don't think by THAT much that they should've culled half the album, let alone just released the first - songs like Fly Away and Funny Thing especially are soooolid tracks.

Also, I have to admit I wasn't prepared to like the album this much. Given everything that's happened in the last few years, I was ready to be sympathetic. But nope, Craig smashed it out with this one. Major props to him. So, so nice to hear more music from him again, and when it's this good... ahh, it's just such a great feeling. Also surprised none of you have brought up the lyrics on this album - they're Craig's best since Winning Days imo. Favourite tracks after 7-8 listens: Into the Fire, Funny Thing, Fly Away, Killing the Planet, Anything You Say, Ladybug. 

Reviewed the album here if anyone's interested.

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:26 pm

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:33 pm

After listen the two albums repeatedly I decide that Wicked Nature (song) is the best one in both.
Its ending remember Autumn Shade I, or FTW, I don't know exactly.
I really like this new job from Craig & co.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/MxAxSxTxExRxxMxAxN
movieteam7

PostSubject: Wicked Nature is a wild ride !!!   Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 pm

Loving all the songs. "Rave It" "Metal Zone" "Funny Thing" and "Killing the Planet" are some of my favorite tracks. afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
platinum

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:46 am

I love reading Craig's takes on his own songs. His responses are so simple "this one is kind of dark, this one sounds very green, like nature, etc." Those simple, colorful descriptions transcribe musically into his songs and make them so unique.

So, I bought the album (CD) today. I live in the US, in Massachusetts. There's a chain of record stores called Bullmoose Music, which is where I picked it up. They always tend to have the most obscure releases front and center on release day, so I was super surprised to not be able to find Wicked Nature in the new release wall!! I had to hunt it down in the regular aisle, the only copy that was there. Are The Vines really that unknown at this point? I've seen this store put obscure stuff like Adam Green in the new release area...very odd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fuzail

PostSubject: Amzaing just amazing   Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:03 am

Every song has hit the right spot. Yes some of the songs could be stretched a bit longer but wow are all these songs taking me places.

I can say if there were two songs that could be kicked out they would be "Clueless" and "Everything Else"

But honestly I cannot believe that I am lucky enough to listen to this kind of music with Nicki Minaj and Iggy Azaelas of the world making popular music now.

the vines can never be popular again but who the hell wants them to be

I just love the album just love it love it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
platinum

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:50 am

currently really digging "Funny Thing." I would have liked to have seen that tacked onto the end of disc one. Woulda made it just a BIT longer, a bit more perfect!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bwadi

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:35 am

I may be the only one getting this feeling, but songs like 'Clueless' & 'Slightly Alien' have this kind of vibe similar to the first two albums by Gomez - 'Bring It On' & 'Liquid Skin'. Really like it, not sure if they fit into the album altogether though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bwadi.tumbr.com
Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:42 pm

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:24 pm

Kitty wrote:
More interviews:

http://www.theaureview.com/interviews/tim-john-of-the-vines-sydney-on-wicked-nature-being-part-of-the-new-band-line-up-and-what-lay-ahead

http://www.societyofsound.com.au/2014/09/qa-tim-john-vines/

Have you noticed all the similarities between these Lachlan and Tim interview? They both say almost the exact same things as each other, sometimes word for word. Just thought it was weird!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/thesharpears
platinum

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:27 pm

The interviews with the new guys are cool for two reasons.

1.) Makes them feel like MEMBERS, not just a backing band

2.) They're so positive about the band. I feel like Craig has never had the support he needed in The Vines. Not trying to disrespect any of the past members, but I feel they never had the patience Craig needed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:02 pm

platinum wrote:
I love reading Craig's takes on his own songs. His responses are so simple "this one is kind of dark, this one sounds very green, like nature, etc." Those simple, colorful descriptions transcribe musically into his songs and make them so unique.

So, I bought the album (CD) today. I live in the US, in Massachusetts. There's a chain of record stores called Bullmoose Music, which is where I picked it up. They always tend to have the most obscure releases front and center on release day, so I was super surprised to not be able to find Wicked Nature in the new release wall!! I had to hunt it down  in the regular aisle, the only copy that was there. Are The Vines really that unknown at this point? I've seen this store put obscure stuff like Adam Green in the new release area...very odd.

I thought the same thing reading Craig's commentary on the album. Smile

Also, I guess it really depends on where you are. I can never (well, very rarely) find Adam Green albums anywhere here in Australia, but I've found Vines albums in the biggest and smallest of music stores.

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:46 am

I'm liking the new album. Definitely blows the last two albums out of the water. Favourites so far are out the loop, green utopia, darkest shadow, into the fire. Wondering does anyone have any info/pictures on the artwork inside the packaging or if lyrics are included? Still figuring out whether to buy the vinyl or not..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
platinum

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 am

I own Highly Evolved and Winning Days on vinyl. I'd be more sold on buying this one in vinyl if i knew the rest of the albums were available on the format too. I hate having an incomplete collection
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VisionValley

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 am

Jared541 wrote:
I'm liking the new album. Definitely blows the last two albums out of the water. Favourites so far are out the loop, green utopia, darkest shadow, into the fire. Wondering does anyone have any info/pictures on the artwork inside the packaging or if lyrics are included? Still figuring out whether to buy the vinyl or not..

Out the Loop is my fav!!!

The CD booklet has the lyrics to all the songs and also this photo of the band with Craig pointing a handgun.

Does this photo remind anyone else of the photo shoot Nirvana did in Paris with Kurt posing in every photo with a handgun (including one photo with the gun in his mouth). If I'm not wrong this was the last ever photo shoot Nirvana did and Kurt was dead a few months after doing it.

The similarities are uncanny!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jared541

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:13 am

@platinum yeah I also have those two on vinyl as well as vision valley and a few of the old eps from before highly evolved. I will definitely end up getting this one too but I agree it's dissapointing melodia and future primitive aren't on vinyl..although they are my least favourite two the completist in me is frustrated haha.

@visionvalley thanks for posting that info! Yeah there's something about out the loop. The pace of it, the punk elements..it's just a wild ride and I wish there were more songs like it on the album Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jared541

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:20 am

@visionvalley wow that is a scary thought..I hope Craig doesn't follow that same path. That would be sad..not just because of his great music but anyone taking their own life is a very sad situation. I wonder what kind of music cobain would be making if still alive today? Also considering a lot of bands including the vines are influenced a lot by nirvana I wonder if it would change their sound also if nirvana was around..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
platinum

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Jared541 wrote:
@platinum yeah I also have those two on vinyl as well as vision valley and a few of the old eps from before highly evolved. I will definitely end up getting this one too but I agree it's dissapointing melodia and future primitive aren't on vinyl..although they are my least favourite two the completist in me is frustrated haha.

@visionvalley thanks for posting that info! Yeah there's something about out the loop. The pace of it, the punk elements..it's just a wild ride and I wish there were more songs like it on the album Smile

I'll just never understand why a band/artist would do that and not release a few albums on a format. I know vinyl isn't a HUGE market, but I'm sure if they pressed a thousand or two for the hardcore fans they'd all sell. Melodia wasn't even on CD in the United States for over a year after it came out, and Future Primitive never was released in a physical format here.

I've never been able to find vision valley on vinyl.

Also, everyone seems to be knocking down the last two albums ever since Wicked Nature came out. I'm wondering why this is, since no one seemed to complain about them too much before this new release. I agree that Future Primitive is their worst album, but Melodia has some GREAT songs on it "Orange Amber, Girl I Knew, Hey, True as the Night, etc." I actually think I like that one a bit more than Vision Valley.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Howl

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:55 pm

Do any Australian pledgers have their vinyl yet? My two pairs of headphones both completely died within the past week, and even though my record player stopped working a month ago, it suddenly revived itself today. I like to believe it has done so in order to properly appreciate this record. Desperately hoping it arrives tomorrow, because I'm eager to loop it for hours, just lying on the floor and losing myself somewhere between these beautiful sounds and whisky.

So far, I definitely like it more than FP. I know it's not necessary to compare the albums in order to appreciate them individually, but as fans, it's impossible not to. The songs and production are definitely stronger here, and I hope this means more good things for the future. Current favourites (from listening through shitty laptop speakers) are Into the Fire, Slightly Alien, Girl I Want, Funny Thing, Truth (disc 2 ftw (still can't read "ftw" with thinking Fuck The World)).

I still think Craig's true talent lies in the spacier, psychedelic songs. I honestly believe they'd get more attention if they released these tracks as singles, rather than the simple 60s-inspired garage tracks, which, as great as they may be, aren't going to grab the attention of less optimistic music fans/media, because it's too predictable. Truly, no one does gorgeous layers of spacey harmonies like our Craig.

I really needed this album. It has arrived at the right time.

Last edited by Howl on Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MarchOfClouds
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:32 pm

I also think an "unexpected" single would work well for the band. I think a lot of non-Vines fans have a very 2D perception of The Vines as they go off the "hard & fast" singles alone and don't bother looking into the band's full scope of songs. Which is natural, I guess, but a real shame given the depth and complexity Craig hides away in his non-single tracks.

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:39 pm

^ exactly. That's what I was trying to articulate, but my sleep deprivation got in the way. Lead singles so far - Get Free, Ride, Don't Listen To The Radio, He's A Rocker, Gimme Love, and now Metal Zone. They're all quite similar and definitely do not paint an accurate picture of The Vines. There's so much more: "underneath, there's gold; [music consumers] need to get around to find it..."

Also, psych music is bigger than garage/rock music at the moment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MarchOfClouds

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Jared541 wrote:
Wondering does anyone have any info/pictures on the artwork inside the packaging or if lyrics are included? Still figuring out whether to buy the vinyl or not..

Don't do it! He will steal it and put it on YouTube despite you telling him countless times to take it down. You're an asshole, Jared.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
platinum

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:02 pm

If we're talking a "non-rock" song for the next single, what should it be? I believe the last time they did that was Winning Days.

I think Into the Fire could work. It's a slow jam, rocking but not in your face.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jared541

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:56 am

@1969 wow..personal attacking someone online. Last time I checked that was cyber bullying right vines forum moderators? Pretty sure I took that vines song off YouTube a long time ago but either way, as someone who was a regular on the old forum I'm disappointed that a vines forum is just another place where you can get personally attacked on the internet. Surely vines fans, who most can relate to Craig's life of feeling alone and on the outer, would be a bit more sensitive to others feelings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Nature   

Back to top Go down

Wicked Nature
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next