The Vines Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Who have The Vines influenced?

Go down 
+2
Kitty
thelivingvines
6 posters
AuthorMessage
thelivingvines

Who have The Vines influenced? Empty
PostSubject: Who have The Vines influenced?   Who have The Vines influenced? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 9:57 am

Bwadi wrote:
Koala Owl wrote:
Are they regarded as high as AC/DC, and is Silverchair big there?

One MAJOR difference between AC/DC//Silverchair & The Vines, is that AC/DC & Silverchair became massive at home, THEN went big worldwide. The Vines did the opposite & as we all know, kinda backfired.

Australian's are viciously notorious for the 'Tall Poppy Syndrome', & this was well apparent with The Vines & 'Highly Evolved'. Australians hate hype (if they don't think it's worth it), and will be quite upfront to say they don't give a shit about you if everyone else speaks so highly, until they see for themselves. So, if you add a critically acclaimed band that has a mentally unstable frontman with an audience like this, it was never bound to win them over.

AC/DC & Silverchair had blown up in Australia with their debut albums (High Voltage/TNT & Frogstomp, respectively) & had earned a massive domestic following for these efforts, mainly because the labels & bands did not aim for worldwide immediately. They earnt the respect & fanbase with now Australian anthems like TNT & Tomorrow, which are both now considered two of the greatest Aussie Rock songs ever.
'Get Free' is just a footnote in the history of Australian music, & is usually only commended for knocking down the door for all future Australian bands to find international success easier, which is kind of true.

Whereas AC/DC & Silverchair will forever have immensely strong fanbases in Australia (& Let's be honest, all future albums are basically already No.1 debutants on the charts, if history is to go by anything), The Vines will forever be implanted in the 'Modern Rock/Garage Rock Revival' era of the early 2000's, & will never break through that growing mould. All the bands that The Vines inspired are bigger than them now (Violent Soho, Tame Impala, etc.), whereas Silverchair & AC/DC succeeded so well, for another Aussie band to do that now in the US/UK, they'd be considered the new gods of this nation (Gotye doesn't count).

If The Vines did silence all the critics & Craig never had A.S, I think that they would of been in the same calibre as AC/DC//Silverchair//INXS//etc. & it'd be a majorly different story.

Bwadi's comment from another thread above raises an interesting point. For all the hype in 2001-2004, you would have expected a raft of Vines clones / bands claiming to be influenced by the Vines to come to the fore. I'm not aware of many at all. In the UK, The Arctic Monkeys are about the only band I can think of who said they were influenced by the Vines. I really liked Neon's album, but their career was so short lived.

I don't hear much of a Vines influence in Tame Impala or Violent Soho (that's not to say to be influenced by someone you have to sound similar/identical to them). I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder though, ay?

The question is, to your ears who sounds like The Vines and/or has been genuinely influenced by their sound?
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Who have The Vines influenced?   Who have The Vines influenced? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Royston Vasie: this song can be easily mistaken for a Vines song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAWJ1W0BWt4

Sticky Fingers. I remember them saying in a Triple J interview a while back about how they listened to The Vines as 12 year olds. Perhaps they had influenced them to start performing in a band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgq8EA82T-Q

I know that the frontman of The Subways use to be a member on the old forums as well before his band kicked off.

One of the members from Klaxons is huge fan as well.

That's all I can think of right now.
Back to top Go down
http://assburgers-grrl.tumblr.com
Bwadi

Bwadi

PostSubject: Re: Who have The Vines influenced?   Who have The Vines influenced? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 11:52 am

British India - Rockwiz
This here is an episode of 'Rockwiz', featuring the frontman of British India. Here he mentions The Vines as his first CD he bought with his own money, & I think their music has a slight influence by them.

NARDWUAR VS. TAME IMPALA
In this interview Nardwuar mentions of Craig appearing onstage with Tame Impala at one gig & the band then go on to talk about how they idolised the band when they were young.

In 2011, Triple J did a special 'Hottest 100' purely on Australian albums, & artists like Boy & Bear, British India, & around 3-4 more rated 'Highly Evolved' in their top 10 favourite Australian albums of all time. In the 'Industry 100', 'Highly Evolved' was rated higher than all of Silverchair's 5 albums too (How the fuck is that possible, jesus)

Violent Soho at the start of their career with their debut EP 'Pigs & TV', a few Australian publications drew comparisons to mainly Nirvana & The Vines as being obvious influences on the release. I think the band have mentioned The Vines being one of their favourite bands in high school somewhere, but I can't say for sure.

There are others but I honestly can't remember for shit at the moment.
Back to top Go down
http://bwadi.tumbr.com
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Who have The Vines influenced?   Who have The Vines influenced? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 12:20 pm

I'm remember reading a jmag (RIP) article a while ago about rock stars that have huge egos stage personas and reading about Jake & Stav from Bluejuice talking about watching live performances of Craig on stage being all wild and such and aspiring to be like that. And that they are represented by the same management company. I have a copy of the issue somewhere underneath my bed.

I also read another jmag article about 'Get Free' being one of the greatest Australian tunes of all time and Amanda from Operator Please was praising The Vines for inspiring her to start a band and how they made it easier for Australian bands to make it big overseas. I wish didn't throw away most of my magazines.

The Silents: they thank Craig and Ryan on their sleeves notes for helping them with producing an album of theirs.

I know Nathan from the band Wavves is fan as well.
Back to top Go down
http://assburgers-grrl.tumblr.com
thelivingvines

PostSubject: Re: Who have The Vines influenced?   Who have The Vines influenced? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Kitty wrote:
I'm remember reading a jmag (RIP) article a while ago about rock stars that have huge egos stage personas and reading about Jake & Stav from Bluejuice talking about watching live performances of Craig on stage being all wild and such and aspiring to be like that. And that they are represented by the same management company. I have a copy of the issue somewhere underneath my bed.

I also read another jmag article about 'Get Free' being one of the greatest Australian tunes of all time and Amanda from Operator Please was praising The Vines for inspiring her to start a band and how they made it easier for Australian bands to make it big overseas. I wish didn't throw away most of my magazines.

The Silents: they thank Craig and Ryan on their sleeves notes for helping them with producing an album of theirs.

I know Nathan from the band Wavves is fan as well.

Whatever happened to The Silents? Things to Learn was a great album, but I'm afraid I found their second album (which I recall was independently funded) far too spacey.
Back to top Go down
Howl

Howl

PostSubject: Re: Who have The Vines influenced?   Who have The Vines influenced? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Bwadi wrote:
British India - Rockwiz
This here is an episode of 'Rockwiz', featuring the frontman of British India. Here he mentions The Vines as his first CD he bought with his own money, & I think their music has a slight influence by them.

^ yes!! This is definitely true. I was at a bar a couple of weeks ago and found myself talking to Declan from British India, and I mentioned something about The Vines (I can't remember exactly what, but it was probably along the lines of "OMFG THEIR NEW ALBUM IS SO GOOD!!!") and his eyes lit up as he excitedly declared that Craig is his hero. It was so lovely to hear.

Another band heavily influenced by them: THE MORNING AFTER GIRLS. Granted, it may only be on their first album that The Vines influence can be heard, somewhere among the Dandy Warhols and Brian Jonestown Massacre rip-offs, but in tracks like Hi-Skies, it is very apparent (the way the song ends sounds almost identical to Outtathaway).
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/MarchOfClouds
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: Who have The Vines influenced?   Who have The Vines influenced? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 5:11 am

thelivingvines wrote:

Whatever happened to The Silents? Things to Learn was a great album, but I'm afraid I found their second album (which I recall was independently funded) far too spacey.

They're recording a new album atm. Smile Also yeah, I totally hear The Vines influence.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/illusionvalley
stormboy

stormboy

PostSubject: Re: Who have The Vines influenced?   Who have The Vines influenced? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 2:56 am

Anysound wrote:
thelivingvines wrote:

They're recording a new album atm. Smile Also yeah, I totally hear The Vines influence.

I think they've finished recording the album! But Pond seems to be holding them up from releasing? Spinning Top has an awkwardly annoying way having albums come out ages after they've been recorded (GUM and Shiny Joe Ryan as examples).
Back to top Go down
http://www.burningjeffbridges.tumblr.com
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: Who have The Vines influenced?   Who have The Vines influenced? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 4:22 am

stormboy wrote:

I think they've finished recording the album! But Pond seems to be holding them up from releasing? Spinning Top has an awkwardly annoying way having albums come out ages after they've been recorded (GUM and Shiny Joe Ryan as examples).

Ahh, awesome! Shame about the delay though. Ah well, as long as it sees the light of day eventually. Always do wonder what bands like The Silents do in the mean time. Wonder if they have day jobs, heh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/illusionvalley
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who have The Vines influenced?   Who have The Vines influenced? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who have The Vines influenced?
Page 1 of 1