The Vines Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club

Go down 
+3
allie9609
Koala Owl
Bwadi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Anysound

Anysound

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club Empty
PostSubject: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 11:45 am

This needed its own topic bc it's a monumental occasion.

Post all photos, setlists, memories, experiences, discussion etc etc etc here. Very Happy

So sad I couldn't be there but so excited to hear what it was like. <3 Love
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/illusionvalley
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 4:25 pm

Idk about anyone else but I spent the last few hours (and am still) flitting from Snapchat to Facebook to Twitter seeing what people have posted/are saying.

What I know so far: Craig played some old favourites (Autumn Shade, Winning Days, Spaceship, Homesick) as well as Working Class Hero (!!) and a new song. He seemed in good spirits and Lara just said he seemed really happy. I'm so happy for him. ;_;

Can't wait to see pics (already saw some videos via Jess's Snapchat story. Thank you Jess! Love )
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 9:25 am

Anysound wrote:
Idk about anyone else but I spent the last few hours (and am still) flitting from Snapchat to Facebook to Twitter seeing what people have posted/are saying.

What I know so far: Craig played some old favourites (Autumn Shade, Winning Days, Spaceship, Homesick) as well as Working Class Hero (!!) and a new song. He seemed in good spirits and Lara just said he seemed really happy. I'm so happy for him. ;_;

Can't wait to see pics (already saw some videos via Jess's Snapchat story. Thank you Jess! Love )

Any screenshots from Jess' Snapchat?
Back to top Go down
http://assburgers-grrl.tumblr.com
allie9609

allie9609

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 11:09 am

Here are a few photos I took, I'm going to upload a few videos to YouTube tomorrow and post links here Smile .
Good show!

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club DSC05274_zpsftyt5h8m

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club DSC05275_zpspgemolrs

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club DSC05287_zpsjaglvt7d

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club DSC05281_zpsckstwnpm

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club DSC05296_zpsglgwqyo2

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club DSC05304_zpsqpassvhj

Back to top Go down
Fuzail

PostSubject: Thanks for the pictures   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 11:37 am

Back to top Go down
Bwadi

Bwadi

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Imma try do my best at recounting the setlist, not in order but I know the songs via album.

HE: Autumn Shade
Mary Jane
Homesick

WD: Winning Days
Autumn Shade II

VV: Spaceship

Melodia: True As the Night

FP: None

WN: Truth
Funny Thing

White Shadows: Everyday
Slip Away

ALBUM 7: Broken Heart

Covers:
Crack in the Union Jack (Suede)
Working Class Hero (John Lennon)
The Crystal Ship (The Doors)

There were also two songs at the beginning which I had no idea whether they were covers or what - think one was Beatles track though.
Back to top Go down
http://bwadi.tumbr.com
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Awesome setlist! Thanks for sharing Brady. And those pictures are beautiful Allie! Very Happy

Kate, didn't take any screenshots from Jess' Snapchat, sorry! They were mostly videos anyway so they wouldn't have been good anyway.
Back to top Go down
allie9609

allie9609

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 4:12 pm

A couple of videos:

Everyday - White Shadows

Working Class Hero (John Lennon cover)

I'll upload Winning Days, Mary Jane, Homesick and Broken Heart and post them here later.
Back to top Go down
Bwadi

Bwadi

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 5:35 pm

Figured I might share the time I met my favourite musician from my favourite band of all time.

There was a handful of excited (yet very dedicated & immensely nice) girls who had given Craig a goodie bag (full of god knows what) who must've taken a million photos together with him. After he signed a heap of their merchandise (including a motherfuckin' Hot Leather/Sun Child 7" like far out), an older bloke in his 30's wearing what seemed to be his own self-made Vines shirt copped an autograph on his CD of Winning Days & a bit of a conversation as well. I figured I'd be patient & let all of them have their moment before mine - I'll be a little bit arrogant though & say I've been waiting a lot longer to see this man, comparatively.

Fuck me I was losing it at the fact I was in the same room as him.

Jess was only a metre away from him, talking to who I can only assume were her friends or colleagues. I really wanted to meet her as well, more so to ask if Wicked Nature Music would ever sign another band on their label though lol! always worth a try! I didn't get around to peddling my own band, but at the end of the night I didn't want to. The fact that the 5 year old in me was high-fiving myself & making me feel just as excited as I was when I first saw 'Get Free' on the TV was enough.

"I'll get Jess to take the bag & I'll go upstairs & take off this jacket", nah nah nah mate hold up I gotta meet you, the garage Messiah before that happens.

"Hey man, I was the guy screaming out mutual praise for Swervedriver earlier, I took your on-stage invitation to heart"

"Oh hey man! really glad you enjoyed it"

*Internally* OH FUCK ME SIDEWAYS I'M FUCKING RIGHT HERE & LIKE FUCKING W H A T

We began to talk about Swervedriver, regarding the shows in Sydney (Which he had no idea were announced), their new album (which he also had no idea was released) & whether he went to their last gig at The Metro (He did). Turns out his favourite album is 99th Dream, as he was wondering why they only played the one song off the album I explained that the tour was to play their debut album Raise in full. Turns out he lost the album somehow, I was going to offer to give him a copy of it for iTunes but then the technology restrictions are a bit of a bitch. I told him more about the new Swervedriver album & how they were gunna be out here in June & where at, and we both agreed that if we both went to keep an eye out for each other & hang out. FUCK.

We then continued to discuss about touring, the prospect of full flight of the mighty Vines banner once more - but his explanation & reluctance to do so made perfect sense. It was simple, but I knew where he was coming from.
"When we did all of that kind of stuff, you know I was really young then. I'm 38 now & I don't have that energy to keep doing that all the time. I don't want to do it to the point where it feels like a job, where I'm just doing the same thing over & over then losing interest."
So if you're still saying "plz come 2 Brazil", get some plane tickets & catch them on the East Coast when you can!

With that we got onto our boys Lachy & Tim, who are still in the US with the Griswolds. I asked him whether he was fazed about them being abroad all the time & it doesn't bother him - especially at the fact that he isn't wanting to do some 30 date US Tour himself. It'd drain him & the boys would be even more fucked probably. When they come back they'll be going back into the studio to finish off the album - they've already finished 8 tracks (including "In Miracle Land" & "Broken Heart"). I asked whether the album was going to be more acoustic/ballad based like he's always hinted at, but it seems like it'll be a natural accompaniment to Wicked Nature. I'm imagining it as a Winning Days to Wicked's Highly Evolved - heavier tracks however the majority being serene & more psych-influence.

There was a shit tonne more that we talked about, & it felt like I was there forever until I took photos with him & went separate ways. I wanted to go back & shout him a Jack & Coke so I could hang a little longer & talk to Jess even, but it's not like I could follow them back to Hurstville. Well I could but that's just sketchy as.

BTW, two things I wanted to happen that didn't:
1: MERCHANDISE - JUST WANTED TO REP SOME VINE THREADS BUT NOPE
2: Ms. Jackson seemed like such an obvious song to play - maybe too obvious that he didn't

At least I have this now with me for the rest of my life. If I get to meet him again at Swervedriver I'll be over the moon once more - could maybe even do a support slot with them Very Happy

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club 12935095_200712420312972_137029580_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTIyODc1Mzc3MDA0MTE4MDkxMA%3D%3D
Back to top Go down
http://bwadi.tumbr.com
Koala Owl

Koala Owl

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Heya, man! Great story! Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and beautiful photos. flower
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 8:05 pm

All hail Brady, King of Fanboys. Living the dreeeeam. (Thank you for the write-up. Made me so happy to read.)
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Also, thank you so much for the videos, Allie! I was sooo hoping someone had recorded Working Class Hero. ;_; Love
Back to top Go down
allie9609

allie9609

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 5:07 am

Mary Jane

Winning Days

Homesick

I'll post Truth and Broken Heart tomorrow
Back to top Go down
allie9609

allie9609

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Truth and True as the Night:

Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Beautiful!
Back to top Go down
(((A Name)))

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2016 1:34 am

allie9609 wrote:
Mary Jane

Winning Days

Homesick

I'll post Truth and Broken Heart tomorrow

Thank you very very much for sharing all those great videos with us Allie cheers
Also thank you Bwadi for sharing the details of your conversation with Craig. Looks like I have to visit Australia one day, if I want hear Craig live. It would be great to meet him one day like you did. Woot
Back to top Go down
Fuzail

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 2:24 pm

This heavenly person has uploaded the entire show. Craig is so amazing, he reminds of the greats like Grateful Dead, The Doors and other legends.

He is not like the other people out there in Rock. It is sad he will never get the recognition.

I just wish he is able to keep doing what he loves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOhrJH0QZNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY0zazSuF2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgyfOMhxCF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4eTR7555Hc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OucSCzneYg

Enjoy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
(((A Name)))

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Fuzail wrote:
This heavenly person has uploaded the entire show. Craig is so amazing, he reminds of the greats like Grateful Dead, The Doors and other legends.

He is not like the other people out there in Rock. It is sad he will never get the recognition.

I just wish he is able to keep doing what he loves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOhrJH0QZNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY0zazSuF2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgyfOMhxCF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4eTR7555Hc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OucSCzneYg

Enjoy Very Happy

Awesome!
Thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 8:57 am

Bwadi wrote:
Figured I might share the time I met my favourite musician from my favourite band of all time.

There was a handful of excited (yet very dedicated & immensely nice) girls who had given Craig a goodie bag (full of god knows what) who must've taken a million photos together with him. After he signed a heap of their merchandise (including a motherfuckin' Hot Leather/Sun Child 7" like far out), an older bloke in his 30's wearing what seemed to be his own self-made Vines shirt copped an autograph on his CD of Winning Days & a bit of a conversation as well. I figured I'd be patient & let all of them have their moment before mine - I'll be a little bit arrogant though & say I've been waiting a lot longer to see this man, comparatively.

Fuck me I was losing it at the fact I was in the same room as him.

Jess was only a metre away from him, talking to who I can only assume were her friends or colleagues. I really wanted to meet her as well, more so to ask if Wicked Nature Music would ever sign another band on their label though  lol! always worth a try! I didn't get around to peddling my own band, but at the end of the night I didn't want to. The fact that the 5 year old in me was high-fiving myself & making me feel just as excited as I was when I first saw 'Get Free' on the TV was enough.

"I'll get Jess to take the bag & I'll go upstairs & take off this jacket", nah nah nah mate hold up I gotta meet you, the garage Messiah before that happens.

"Hey man, I was the guy screaming out mutual praise for Swervedriver earlier, I took your on-stage invitation to heart"

"Oh hey man! really glad you enjoyed it"

*Internally* OH FUCK ME SIDEWAYS I'M FUCKING RIGHT HERE & LIKE FUCKING W H A T

We began to talk about Swervedriver, regarding the shows in Sydney (Which he had no idea were announced), their new album (which he also had no idea was released) & whether he went to their last gig at The Metro (He did). Turns out his favourite album is 99th Dream, as he was wondering why they only played the one song off the album I explained that the tour was to play their debut album Raise in full. Turns out he lost the album somehow, I was going to offer to give him a copy of it for iTunes but then the technology restrictions are a bit of a bitch. I told him more about the new Swervedriver album & how they were gunna be out here in June & where at, and we both agreed that if we both went to keep an eye out for each other & hang out. FUCK.

We then continued to discuss about touring, the prospect of full flight of the mighty Vines banner once more - but his explanation & reluctance to do so made perfect sense. It was simple, but I knew where he was coming from.
"When we did all of that kind of stuff, you know I was really young then. I'm 38 now & I don't have that energy to keep doing that all the time. I don't want to do it to the point where it feels like a job, where I'm just doing the same thing over & over then losing interest."
So if you're still saying "plz come 2 Brazil", get some plane tickets & catch them on the East Coast when you can!

With that we got onto our boys Lachy & Tim, who are still in the US with the Griswolds. I asked him whether he was fazed about them being abroad all the time & it doesn't bother him - especially at the fact that he isn't wanting to do some 30 date US Tour himself. It'd drain him & the boys would be even more fucked probably. When they come back they'll be going back into the studio to finish off the album - they've already finished 8 tracks (including "In Miracle Land" & "Broken Heart"). I asked whether the album was going to be more acoustic/ballad based like he's always hinted at, but it seems like it'll be a natural accompaniment to Wicked Nature. I'm imagining it as a Winning Days to Wicked's Highly Evolved - heavier tracks however the majority being serene & more psych-influence.

There was a shit tonne more that we talked about, & it felt like I was there forever until I took photos with him & went separate ways. I wanted to go back & shout him a Jack & Coke so I could hang a little longer &  talk to Jess even, but it's not like I could follow them back to Hurstville. Well I could but that's just sketchy as.

BTW, two things I wanted to happen that didn't:
1: MERCHANDISE - JUST WANTED TO REP SOME VINE THREADS BUT NOPE
2: Ms. Jackson seemed like such an obvious song to play - maybe too obvious that he didn't

At least I have this now with me for the rest of my life. If I get to meet him again at Swervedriver I'll be over the moon once more - could maybe even do a support slot with them  Very Happy

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club 12935095_200712420312972_137029580_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTIyODc1Mzc3MDA0MTE4MDkxMA%3D%3D

Did you get to see him at the Swervedriver show or nah?
Back to top Go down
http://assburgers-grrl.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club   Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craig Nicholls debut solo show at Newtown Social Club
Page 1 of 1