HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
verluste

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:49 am

The Household Cat wrote:
i've wanted to read this for a while, how is it?

i'm reading the rum diary by hunter s. thompson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Howl

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Anysound wrote:
omgwtf wrote:

It probably helps if you can relate to the themes in the book, to be fair. For me, Holden Caulfield is similar to me in so many ways and there's many things that happen to him in the book that resonate with me. Our opinions coincide on so many things as well. If you're not similar to him or you don't have the same mind frame, I wouldn't imagine you'd enjoy it all that much.

I disagree completely; being able to relate to something doesn't always help in being able to enjoy something.
Let's be realistic: this book does not cover new territory in its exploration of depression, anxiety, mental illness, existentialism and isolation. These are things the majority of people (particularly the literary-minded) can relate to in one way another (which, I suppose, is why it's received such continued acclaim). Indeed, I related to these feelings and many of this thoughts strongly, yet the reaction I had was minor. A good book usually grasps me firmly by the gut and renders me immobile with a sustained physical reaction for the hours it takes to read it, if not the days it takes to digest what I've read and recover. There were a few particularly poignant scenes which really struck me in The Catcher in the Rye, but apart from those, I was generally quite unmoved. It's kind of like I didn't believe what I was reading; there was no real connecting element between one action and the next. I can't quite describe it.

Maybe my expectations were too high from the get-go? Or maybe I just came to the book with preconceived annoyance as it seems like every 15 year old kid on the internet who read this for school says it is "their life". I don't know.

I've never met a person more cynical than myself, yet I don't relate to The Catcher In the Rye, nor can I comprehend why it's so popular. From what I've observed, most of the people who claim it's their favourite book are the kind of people who read it in high school because they had to, and actually read it because it was easy (not like a lot of people who just don't bother). Then, since leaving school, they've not picked up a single book since, so when asked about their favourite novel, they say the one they've read. I'm not suggesting that's the case for EVERY person who claim to like this book, I've just noticed a trend amongst those who I've encountered.

I agree with what you've said about it, Anysound. I think it was written at just the right time to be considered a classic by the time the cynical, jaded MTV generation were reaching puberty.

Anysound, have you ever read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath? It's my "Catcher in the Rye".

Currently reading Wuthering Heights (for the first time Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MarchOfClouds
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:04 am

Howl wrote:

I've never met a person more cynical than myself, yet I don't relate to The Catcher In the Rye, nor can I comprehend why it's so popular. From what I've observed, most of the people who claim it's their favourite book are the kind of people who read it in high school because they had to, and actually read it because it was easy (not like a lot of people who just don't bother). Then, since leaving school, they've not picked up a single book since, so when asked about their favourite novel, they say the one they've read. I'm not suggesting that's the case for EVERY person who claim to like this book, I've just noticed a trend amongst those who I've encountered.

I agree with what you've said about it, Anysound. I think it was written at just the right time to be considered a classic by the time the cynical, jaded MTV generation were reaching puberty.

Anysound, have you ever read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath? It's my "Catcher in the Rye".

Ahh, finally! Someone who can understand me on this! I am so glad I am not alone. Smile Yes, exactly! It seems to be a favourite among those who aren't well-read yet like to appear otherwise.

Also, no I have not but it's one on my "To-Read List". Wink

-

The Hobbit (for the first time Embarassed )
My cousin has been gallivanting his way across Australia in a Kombi for the last year and sent it to me. Very excited to read it as I have always meant to.

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:33 am

Histoire de la magie - Eliphas Lévi
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.www.com
Bekkkka

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:43 am

Anysound wrote:
Howl wrote:

Ahh, finally! Someone who can understand me on this! I am so glad I am not alone. Smile Yes, exactly! It seems to be a favourite among those who aren't well-read yet like to appear otherwise.

Also, no I have not but it's one on my "To-Read List". Wink

-

The Hobbit (for the first time Embarassed )
My cousin has been gallivanting his way across Australia in a Kombi for the last year and sent it to me. Very excited to read it as I have always meant to.

Oh my gosh ELENITA!! I am soo proud.. It can be hard to get through if it's not your preferred genre.

Also, I completely loved The Bell Jar.

Currently, I'm reading John by Cynthia Lennon again. So many people speak of connections to Lennon, but personally, I never felt much for him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/merryandpippen
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:18 am

... Embarassed I may have tuned out a bit after a while and moved onto something else. But I promise I'll try and get into it again, Bekka!

I recently re-read Look Back in Anger by John Osborne. Jimmy has got to be one the most intense and interesting characters I've ever encountered. Brilliant!

Currently reading George Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier.

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:25 pm

"Holy Rock & Rollers: The Story of Kings of Leon" by Joel McIver
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   

Back to top Go down

What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7