HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Howl

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Anysound wrote:

I did very little schoolwork today so I found time to read A Study in Scarlet, a Christmas gift from my twin sister. I am redeemed! nuh lahnger stoopid!

Holy cow. What kind of schoolwork could you possibly be doing this time of year???
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/MarchOfClouds
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:58 pm

Howl wrote:

Holy cow. What kind of schoolwork could you possibly be doing this time of year???

All of my teachers have given me holiday homework in one form or another - assessment tasks, homework assignments (essays, stories), past papers, chapter reviews, chapter summaries, reading, reading, more reading... and then there's all the revision I want to complete for my own sake. As one of my teachers put it, "you're a HSC student now, you don't get holidays anymore." Neutral YAY haha.

Last.fm | Tumblr | Fuck Yeah The Verve
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/illusionvalley
Howl

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:14 pm

Anysound wrote:
Howl wrote:

All of my teachers have given me holiday homework in one form or another - assessment tasks, homework assignments (essays, stories), past papers, chapter reviews, chapter summaries, reading, reading, more reading... and then there's all the revision I want to complete for my own sake. As one of my teachers put it, "you're a HSC student now, you don't get holidays anymore." Neutral YAY haha.

Madness. I never bothered with homework at all, and I still got a score in the top 9% of the state... and the VIC curriculum is (or was, not sure what it is now) supposedly more difficult than NSW. They put far too much pressure on everyone. In reality, it doesn't matter. They tell you it's the end of the world, but getting a bad (well, not really high) score ultimately won't stop you from doing anything. It just means it might take a little longer and you might need to use different pathways to get there... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I think studying too much is detrimental. The stress is too much. I hope you're balancing it out, Anysound. I'm not saying DROP EVERYTHING (and I know you wouldn't, because listening to random strangers on the internet is stupid), but just don't burn yourself out...? I don't know. If you get joy and fulfilment from study and academic achievement, then that's great! I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end. I admire your dedication.

Also, sorry if I'm sounding like a bitch. It's not my intention. I just worry about the people who study too hard. There were two girls in my year who ended up needing to spend time in hospitals because they had nervous breakdowns from their study-load. It happened only a couple of weeks before exams, which meant their efforts were wasted. Bah. Shut up, Howl! Sorry. I am an awful person. Just take care, yeah?
Back to top Go down
Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Kitty wrote:
American Psycho and the Communist Manifesto.
omg.

Anysound wrote:

Well, to be frank, my school library is hopeless. :') And though I don't know about the town library in regards to this specific book (though they had none of Conan Doyle's books! Shocked so...), I really need to buy a copy because it would be a tad ridiculous if I had to continually renew it for a whole year. Razz
What about secondhand bookshops then?
Do you perhaps have charity shops of the kind they have in Britain (Oxfam, British Heart Foundation etc) in Oz?
You can get books for around a quid in those places (and many of them in perfect condition)
Of course there's no guarantee that you'll get The Babes in one of those establishments, but one can often get stuff that has been out of print and unavailable anywhere else
so
if you come across any Rendell book...
may I suggest
you buy it?
Fear Fear Fear

Anysound wrote:
Alright, alright, sheeesh! Razz (Thank you. Hug)
Any time Wink

Anysound wrote:
I did very little schoolwork today so I found time to read A Study in Scarlet, a Christmas gift from my twin sister. I am redeemed! nuh lahnger stoopid!
Haha awesome Wink

Last edited by Rusty on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FindAWayOut

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:39 am

Just finished this book called "The boy in the striped pijamas", excellent to read, but the topic is terrible because is realistic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Howl wrote:

Madness. I never bothered with homework at all, and I still got a score in the top 9% of the state... and the VIC curriculum is (or was, not sure what it is now) supposedly more difficult than NSW. They put far too much pressure on everyone. In reality, it doesn't matter. They tell you it's the end of the world, but getting a bad (well, not really high) score ultimately won't stop you from doing anything. It just means it might take a little longer and you might need to use different pathways to get there... which isn't necessarily a bad thing

I know all that, about how there's alternative pathways to uni and past uni and so forth, but it's not so much about getting a specific ATAR to get into a specific course, it's about getting the right ATAR (i.e. a really high one, to rival my older sister's ATAR and the results of everyone else). The pressure I have on me to do well from my family and teachers is definitely there; to my teachers, the HSC is about seeing how good I can make them look, and to my family, the HSC is really a time of proving to everyone my worth as a student compared to everyone else in the family, both here in Australia and in Germany (where they're all goddamn professors, literally >_<). And I know that's ridiculous because standardised testing doesn't determine intelligence or a person's worth etc but it just how it is, I guess.

Oh and also, I highly doubt I have the natural intelligence you clearly have to bring me through with such a high mark. Even if I thought I did, I wouldn't rely on it, I would be too scared haha.

Howl wrote:

I think studying too much is detrimental. The stress is too much. I hope you're balancing it out, Anysound. I'm not saying DROP EVERYTHING (and I know you wouldn't, because listening to random strangers on the internet is stupid), but just don't burn yourself out...? I don't know. If you get joy and fulfilment from study and academic achievement, then that's great! I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end. I admire your dedication.

Also, sorry if I'm sounding like a bitch. It's not my intention. I just worry about the people who study too hard. There were two girls in my year who ended up needing to spend time in hospitals because they had nervous breakdowns from their study-load. It happened only a couple of weeks before exams, which meant their efforts were wasted. Bah. Shut up, Howl! Sorry. I am an awful person. Just take care, yeah?

Neutral Well... that's worrying. >_< I worry about burning out. I saw my good friend, who just finished her HSC recently, crumble under all the stress. She worked so hard all year and I worry she faltered near the end there and that her results suffered because of it. Because of that I mentioned burning out to my HSC mentor and she basically said it's preventative, even with a massive workload.

No, you're not an awful person and I don't think you're sounding like a bitch at all. I think it's nice of you to care so much. So thank you, it means a lot. I will manage, it will be fine. Smile

Rusty wrote:

Do you perhaps have charity shops of the kind they have in Britain (Oxfam, British Heart Foundation etc) in Oz?
You can get books for around a quid in those places (and many of them in perfect condition)
Of course there's no guarantee that you'll get The Babes in one of those establishments, but one can often get stuff that has been out of print and unavailable anywhere else
so
may I suggest
you buy it?
Fear Fear Fear

Unfortunately the one good second hand bookshop we had in this town closed down years ago. But yes we have those type of stores here and I frequent them sometimes. I will have to do the rounds again soon and I will tell you if I find any of Rendell's books. Very Happy

FindAWayOut wrote:
Just finished this book called "The boy in the striped pijamas", excellent to read, but the topic is terrible because is realistic.

Ohh yeah, I know that one. Sad

Back to top Go down
Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Anysound wrote:

Unfortunately the one good second hand bookshop we had in this town closed down years ago.
Ohh... darn shame...

Anysound wrote:
But yes we have those type of stores here and I frequent them sometimes. I will have to do the rounds again soon and I will tell you if I find any of Rendell's books. Very Happy
yay Woot

btw I don't want to barge in your conversation up there, so I'll just state what I've said a gazillion times already: you'll do fiiiine!! Hug
HSC stands for Highly Skilled/Sophisticated/Smart Creature (or something like that) right? Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Howl

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Anysound wrote:
it's about getting the right ATAR (i.e. a really high one, to rival my older sister's ATAR and the results of everyone else). The pressure I have on me to do well from my family and teachers is definitely there; to my teachers, the HSC is about seeing how good I can make them look, and to my family, the HSC is really a time of proving to everyone my worth as a student compared to everyone else in the family

I understand that. It doesn't seem right that your worth would be judge on your HSC results, since the education system is so flawed, but I guess that's a good reason to try to do well.

Quote :
Oh and also, I highly doubt I have the natural intelligence you clearly have to bring me through with such a high mark. Even if I thought I did, I wouldn't rely on it, I would be too scared haha.

Are you kidding?! haha. Honestly, every time I read one of your posts, I cannot believe that you're so young. You would definitely have the natural intelligence to get a good score without effort. However, I wouldn't recommend it if you want to get a REALLY GOOD score, obviously. I'm sure if I'd studied, I could have done a lot better.

Quote :
I mentioned burning out to my HSC mentor and she basically said it's preventative, even with a massive workload.

The fact that you still have time to come and visit us here suggest that you know how to pace yourself. Taking regular breaks to do the things you enjoy is really important (and I know you already know this. haha). To be honest, I think the most important thing is just allowing yourself some time every day just to think and organise your thoughts. People fall apart when they're trying to focus on one thing while having five thousand other things in the back of their minds.

Anyway, good luck! I'm sure this year will be hectic, but it's just one year.

Rusty wrote:

so
may I suggest
you buy it?
Fear Fear Fear

Unfortunately the one good second hand bookshop we had in this town closed down years ago. But yes we have those type of stores here and I frequent them sometimes. I will have to do the rounds again soon and I will tell you if I find any of Rendell's books. Very Happy

FindAWayOut wrote:

Ohh yeah, I know that one. Sad [/quote]
Back to top Go down
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Rusty wrote:

btw I don't want to barge in your conversation up there, so I'll just state what I've said a gazillion times already: you'll do fiiiine!! Hug
HSC stands for Highly Skilled/Sophisticated/Smart Creature (or something like that) right? Wink

Awhh, thank you. Hug Here's hoping! Smile

HSC = Higher School Certificate. Razz

Howl wrote:
Are you kidding?! haha. Honestly, every time I read one of your posts, I cannot believe that you're so young. You would definitely have the natural intelligence to get a good score without effort. However, I wouldn't recommend it if you want to get a REALLY GOOD score, obviously. I'm sure if I'd studied, I could have done a lot better.

Awhh, thank you, I'm flattered. But haha, yeah, like you said I think taking the safer route will be best. Razz

Howl wrote:

The fact that you still have time to come and visit us here suggest that you know how to pace yourself. Taking regular breaks to do the things you enjoy is really important (and I know you already know this. haha). To be honest, I think the most important thing is just allowing yourself some time every day just to think and organise your thoughts. People fall apart when they're trying to focus on one thing while having five thousand other things in the back of their minds.

Anyway, good luck! I'm sure this year will be hectic, but it's just one year.

Wow, that makes a lot of sense and is really good advice. I will definitely endeavour to keep organised and to keep everything and all my thoughts in perspective. Thanks so much, I really appreciate your concern and help. Smile

Back to top Go down
Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Anysound wrote:

Awhh, thank you. Hug Here's hoping! Smile
Any time Wink

Anysound wrote:
HSC = Higher School Certificate. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:31 am

The Skull Beneath the Skin - P.D. James

Started this one months ago but didn't get past the first few chapters before I became preoccupied with other books. Started it from the beginning on Thursday and finished it today. Loved it, to a point. It seems that with almost every book I read in which a character or characters die, my favourite/s always die and there is no proper justic for their deaths, no satisfying feeling of finality to be gained by the end of the book. bounce

Back to top Go down
Kitty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Rusty wrote:
Kitty wrote:
omg.

Yeah but the version of Communist that I have is mostly a big ass doctorate and rest is the original content.

Today, I bought Leon Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and Alice In Wonderland for me to read.

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Kitty wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Kitty wrote:
omg.

Yeah but the version of Communist that I have is mostly a big ass doctorate and rest is the original content.
Must be a pain in the ass to read none the less Wink

btw love Alice Very Happy

Anysound wrote:
The Skull Beneath the Skin - P.D. James

Started this one months ago but didn't get past the first few chapters before I became preoccupied with other books. Started it from the beginning on Thursday and finished it today. Loved it, to a point. It seems that with almost every book I read in which a character or characters die, my favourite/s always die and there is no proper justic for their deaths, no satisfying feeling of finality to be gained by the end of the book. bounce
Only to a point? Oww...
I expected a more enthusiastic response Wink

Ah well.
I wonder what you'll make of The Babes then...

and they say reading has become a lost art ;p

Back to top Go down
View user profile
braindead

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:44 am

-

Last edited by braindead on Mon May 28, 2012 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.www.com
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:27 am

Rusty wrote:

Only to a point? Oww...

Ah well.

But I am enthusiastic about it! I meant I loved it literally to a point in the book. Razz

Also, eeee, that cat kind of looks like Ramone! ^_^

-

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

Back to top Go down
Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Anysound wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Only to a point? Oww...

Ah well.

But I am enthusiastic about it! I meant I loved it literally to a point in the book. Razz

Also, eeee, that cat kind of looks like Ramone! ^_^
It does? YaY Wink

And haha, OK then (:

Anysound wrote:
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
N!ce (:

London. The Biography, by Peter Ackroyd (Polish translation, sadly)

It's over 700 pages long, this thing. Eeek. ;p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Rusty wrote:

Haha, well tell me about the highlights! Oh wait, I can guess one already: "And it was on that glorious night that The Verve graced Londontown with their presence for the first time." Razz

Back to top Go down
Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Anysound wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Haha, well tell me about the highlights! Oh wait, I can guess one already: "And it was on that glorious night that The Verve graced Londontown with their presence for the first time." Razz
lol

Actually, I found something equally fascinating Wink

The streets of Mayfair echoed with the patter of the tiny feet of one Mohamed Hamaki, whose esteemed father was working in London at the time. Who would have thought that little Moka, whose big, dark, soulful eyes wreaked such a havoc with the female hearts even then, would grow to become one of the greatest superstars in his native Egypt some twenty years later.

Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Craig's Angel

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:28 am

Idk if they're good yet but eh Looked pretty cool Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Itisbroke.tumblr.com
Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Craig's Angel wrote:

Poe? Poe's awesome! Woot
The pit and the pendulum, The cask of Amontillado, The fall of the house of Usher, The premature burial, The masque of the Red Death... it's all so deliciously creepy haha Very Happy
Oh, I also adore The Spectacles (not his usual bloodcurdling tale, it's something totally different and unexpected. And hilarious Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Craig's Angel

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:25 am

Rusty wrote:
Craig's Angel wrote:

Poe? Poe's awesome! Woot
The pit and the pendulum, The cask of Amontillado, The fall of the house of Usher, The premature burial, The masque of the Red Death... it's all so deliciously creepy haha Very Happy
Oh, I also adore The Spectacles (not his usual bloodcurdling tale, it's something totally different and unexpected. And hilarious Very Happy)
heh awesome Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Itisbroke.tumblr.com
Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:45 am

Rusty wrote:

lol

The streets of Mayfair echoed with the patter of the tiny feet of one Mohamed Hamaki, whose esteemed father was working in London at the time. Who would have thought that little Moka, whose big, dark, soulful eyes wreaked such a havoc with the female hearts even then, would grow to become one of the greatest superstars in his native Egypt some twenty years later.

Razz

Woow, nice! Very Happy

-

Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut

A gift from the beautiful Bekka. ^_^ Hug

Back to top Go down
Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:53 am

Anysound wrote:
Rusty wrote:

lol

Razz

Woow, nice! Very Happy
thanks Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kitty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:39 pm

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. Only got through the first few pages and it's probably going to be a snoozefest.

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:03 am

The Babes in the Wood - Ruth Rendell

Rustyyyy! How weird is this! I read The Babes in the Wood for a while this afternoon (I am halfway through it) before I watched the news, right? During a commercial break I was about to exit the room and the TV was out of my sight when I heard (in one of those this-is-a-serious-show deep, male voice) "...crime novelist..." and I thought, "heh, wouldn't it be funny is they mentioned Rendell? Razz". I took a few steps back and caught the end of the ad which boasted "Ruth Rendell's You Can't Be Too Careful, tonight at 9:40." Shocked !

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   

Back to top Go down

What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next