The Vines Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)

Go down 
+15
omgwtf
Bekkkka
Thinkhappythoughts67
effervescingelephant
Kitty
Howl
Anysound
Suzy
Craig's Angel
FindAWayOut
TheVines_Mx
LawlietWay
braindead
The Household Cat
Rusty
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
effervescingelephant

effervescingelephant

What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:00 pm

Doom Patrol (DC comics)

What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 Tumblr_l5crazx5aO1qzxqmso1_500

Crazy Jane♥
Back to top Go down
braindead

braindead

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:23 pm

-

Last edited by braindead on Mon May 28, 2012 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.www.com
effervescingelephant

effervescingelephant

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:32 pm

braindead wrote:
hey Effervescing.. read this:
What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 Tumblr_l1rco1xQy41qzvwajo1_500

zap! the best underground comic

JUAJjjjajaj 60's greeeeeeeat What a Face What a Face
Back to top Go down
braindead

braindead

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:36 pm

-

Last edited by braindead on Mon May 28, 2012 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.www.com
effervescingelephant

effervescingelephant

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 6:44 am

braindead wrote:
freak out baby- otra de argentina. ya somos mas!

Genial chabón (: alien
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:01 am

Anysound wrote:
The Babes in the Wood - Ruth Rendell

Rustyyyy! How weird is this! I read The Babes in the Wood for a while this afternoon (I am halfway through it) before I watched the news, right? During a commercial break I was about to exit the room and the TV was out of my sight when I heard (in one of those this-is-a-serious-show deep, male voice) "...crime novelist..." and I thought, "heh, wouldn't it be funny is they mentioned Rendell? Razz". I took a few steps back and caught the end of the ad which boasted "Ruth Rendell's You Can't Be Too Careful, tonight at 9:40." Shocked !
No way! You're making it up Razz

I mean, that's just freakin' awesome! Very Happy
Was it worth watching??

and I am halfway through my London biography thing.
Apparently, in the late Middle Ages killing a kite was punishable by death.
Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Rusty wrote:
No way! You're making it up Razz

I mean, that's just freakin' awesome! Very Happy
Was it worth watching??

and I am halfway through my London biography thing.
Apparently, in the late Middle Ages killing a kite was punishable by death.
Twisted Evil

Nope, I didn't make it up. Very Happy And well, I kind of didn't watch it. Embarassed I had to concentrate on my assessment task that night.

I finished The Babes in the Wood, really loved it! Very Happy Just want to kill this assessment task on it though.
The ending wasn't as incomplete as I expected based on what you said. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/illusionvalley
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Anysound wrote:

Nope, I didn't make it up. Very Happy And well, I kind of didn't watch it. Embarassed I had to concentrate on my assessment task that night.

Oh.
Well, considering the circumstances I guess I'm forced to understand. ;p
Sort of. Wink

Anysound wrote:
I finished The Babes in the Wood, really loved it! Very Happy
Woot

Anysound wrote:
Just want to kill this assessment task on it though.
Does it suck that bad then??

Anysound wrote:
The ending wasn't as incomplete as I expected based on what you said. Razz
I don't exactly remember what I said but sorry to have misled you ;p
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 12:09 am

Rusty wrote:

Oh.
Well, considering the circumstances I guess I'm forced to understand. ;p
Sort of. Wink

Sorryy. Neutral haha. I'm sure they'll play more from the series soon and I'll be sure to catch an episode or two. Smile

Rusty wrote:

Yes. It's not even a Board-approved assessment task, I'm pretty sure, as it's not really an assessment task at all. It's kind of like 4 different assignments - connected in content only by the subject (the book itself!) - thrown in one. Each task has clearly been written in a few minutes as grammatical and spelling errors abound and he didn't even give us a marking rubric so we don't really know what's expected of us. He said it "should take about 6 hours." I've spent around 12 hours on it already and am only half way through, though the hardest parts are still to come. bounce Anyway, sorry, I'll stop whinging now. Razz

Rusty wrote:

I don't exactly remember what I said but sorry to have misled you ;p

Haha, no problem. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Anysound wrote:

Sorryy. Neutral haha. I'm sure they'll play more from the series soon and I'll be sure to catch an episode or two. Smile
PLZ do Wink

Anysound wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Yes. It's not even a Board-approved assessment task, I'm pretty sure, as it's not really an assessment task at all. It's kind of like 4 different assignments - connected in content only by the subject (the book itself!) - thrown in one. Each task has clearly been written in a few minutes as grammatical and spelling errors abound and he didn't even give us a marking rubric so we don't really know what's expected of us. He said it "should take about 6 hours." I've spent around 12 hours on it already and am only half way through, though the hardest parts are still to come. bounce Anyway, sorry, I'll stop whinging now. Razz
Wha..at?? Do you mean to say that your teacher... your English teacher gave you a task full of grammatical etc. errors?!
wtf. Neutral

But hey, at least you're writing about a book that you like (unless you said what you did up there out of mere courtesy, haha ;p)

Anyway, I'm sure you'll manage just fine, for your wordcrafting skillZ alone I'd give you A+ Wink
Just hang in there habibte Hug

Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Rusty wrote:

Wha..at?? Do you mean to say that your teacher... your English teacher gave you a task full of grammatical etc. errors?!

Hahah, yes, it's more common than you think! Rolling Eyes

Rusty wrote:

But hey, at least you're writing about a book that you like (unless you said what you did up there out of mere courtesy, haha ;p)

That is true, compared to the rest of it, I breezed through the part where I had to write notes on the book (probably because he didn't give any guidelines and I just rambled on for four pages. Razz). I also finished the part about Rendell's historical and current context, how it affects her writing and what values she holds that shows through the text, so I've now finished the first part of the assessment task about The Babes in the Wood. I also am now half way through the part about the history of the crime fiction genre. Tomorrow I'll finish that off and complete the final part in which I have to relate the novel to the genre by attaching its components to the novel's characteristics, and then I can finish by doing the part in which I have to explain how the ideas in the novel reveal its values. Almost done, yeeah! cheers

Rusty wrote:

Anyway, I'm sure you'll manage just fine, for your wordcrafting skillZ alone I'd give you A+ Wink
Just hang in there habibte Hug

Awhh, thank you. Hug
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Anysound wrote:

Hahah, yes, it's more common than you think! Rolling Eyes
Oh.
So... if you make the same mistake as the teacher, are you penalized for it? ;p

Anysound wrote:
That is true, compared to the rest of it, I breezed through the part where I had to write notes on the book (probably because he didn't give any guidelines and I just rambled on for four pages. Razz). I also finished the part about Rendell's historical and current context, how it affects her writing and what values she holds that shows through the text, so I've now finished the first part of the assessment task about The Babes in the Wood. I also am now half way through the part about the history of the crime fiction genre. Tomorrow I'll finish that off and complete the final part in which I have to relate the novel to the genre by attaching its components to the novel's characteristics, and then I can finish by doing the part in which I have to explain how the ideas in the novel reveal its values. Almost done, yeeah! cheers

Whoa, the complexity of it all is just staggering, heh

btw Have you noticed that the most successful crime writers are women? lol
Christie, Rendell, James, Marsh, Sayers, Allingham, Yorke, Cornwell, Doyle...

OK, scrap that last one ;p

Anysound wrote:
Awhh, thank you. Hug
Any tiiime Wink

Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 12:05 am

Rusty wrote:

Oh.
So... if you make the same mistake as the teacher, are you penalized for it? ;p

Haha, ahh, I don't know. Presumably. Razz

Rusty wrote:

Whoa, the complexity of it all is just staggering, heh

btw Have you noticed that the most successful crime writers are women? lol
Christie, Rendell, James, Marsh, Sayers, Allingham, Yorke, Cornwell, Doyle...

OK, scrap that last one ;p

It's not really that complex, it's just so looooong. Frustration haha.

And hahah, yes! It's because we're so dramatic and malicious! Drama Twisted Evil

Razz
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 12:47 pm

Anysound wrote:

Haha, ahh, I don't know. Presumably. Razz
There's no justice in this world, no justice at all ;p

Anysound wrote:
It's not really that complex, it's just so looooong. Frustration haha.
Hug

Anysound wrote:
And hahah, yes! It's because we're so dramatic and malicious! Drama Twisted Evil

Razz
There's a Lady Macbeth in every one of us, hellZ yeah Wink

Funny... Macbeth is the only Shakespeare thing that I really like, haha.

(I mean, apart from those sonnets that he wrote to other guys, that is Razz)
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Rusty wrote:

Hug

Hug

Rusty wrote:

There's a Lady Macbeth in every one of us, hellZ yeah Wink

Funny... Macbeth is the only Shakespeare thing that I really like, haha.

[size=9](I mean, apart from those sonnets that he wrote to other guys, that is Razz)

Laughing Indeed.

And wow, that's strange, because of everything by Shakespeare that I've read, Macbeth is the one that struck me most (didn't much care for the others, either). Great minds! Razz

P.S. I'm almost done, yeeeah! Only have to do the part about the components of the genre in relation to the novel. Wondering if I should go to bed now and get up early and finish it in the morning or tough it out and finish it now... Eyes are so tired.. ahhhh. :')
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 8:31 pm

Anysound wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Hug

Hug
What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 Happy0169

Anysound wrote:

Laughing Indeed.

And wow, that's strange, because of everything by Shakespeare that I've read, Macbeth is the one that struck me most (didn't much care for the others, either). Great minds! Razz
heheh

Anysound wrote:
P.S. I'm almost done, yeeeah! Only have to do the part about the components of the genre in relation to the novel. Wondering if I should go to bed now and get up early and finish it in the morning or tough it out and finish it now... Eyes are so tired.. ahhhh. :')
Go to sleep, perchance to dream... What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 Tongue0006
Back to top Go down
Craig's Angel

Craig's Angel

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 5:00 am

IT ..again
Back to top Go down
http://Itisbroke.tumblr.com
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 12:13 pm

Rusty wrote:

Go to sleep, perchance to dream... What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 Tongue0006

I stayed up till 5 finishing it. Only. To. Get to school. And find out. The other people didn't even do it. And. The teacher didn't even ask for it to be handed in.

*dead*

I swear, if he doesn't ask for it to be handed in tomorrow... >_<
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Anysound wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I stayed up till 5 finishing it. Only. To. Get to school. And find out. The other people didn't even do it. And. The teacher didn't even ask for it to be handed in.

*dead*

I swear, if he doesn't ask for it to be handed in tomorrow... >_<
:O I thought that task was obligatory?!

Hmm... Your teacher has been showing signs of a highly erratic behaviour recently...
Perhaps it's not your real teacher but some sort of impostor? scratch
Are you sure there hasn't been any unusual alien body snatching activity in your area lately? Wink

OK, I know this isn't a laughing matter, sorry Hug
Back to top Go down
Thinkhappythoughts67

Thinkhappythoughts67

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 am

Original Sin by P.D. James Smile

What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 Pecado-original-james_1_1_910915
Back to top Go down
http://thinkhappythoughts67.tumblr.com
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 1:34 pm

Rusty wrote:

:O I thought that task was obligatory?!

Hmm... Your teacher has been showing signs of a highly erratic behaviour recently...
Perhaps it's not your real teacher but some sort of impostor? scratch
Are you sure there hasn't been any unusual alien body snatching activity in your area lately? Wink

OK, I know this isn't a laughing matter, sorry Hug

It is. Shocked Somehow I don't think the others will be marked down for handing theirs in super late...

And hahaha, that's an interesting theory but this particular teacher has always been a bit... unreliable. Neutral
Thinkhappythoughts67 wrote:

What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 Pecado-original-james_1_1_910915

Nice! I read The Skull Beneath the Skin recently, you'll have to tell me what you think of Original Sin. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:50 pm

Anysound wrote:

It is. Shocked Somehow I don't think the others will be marked down for handing theirs in super late...

And hahaha, that's an interesting theory but this particular teacher has always been a bit... unreliable. Neutral
Kill him Wink

Thinkhappythoughts67 wrote:

Oh niiiice Very Happy

I'd love to recommend - if anyone's interested ;p - one of the best James books imho, Innocent Blood
It's not your classic James, Rendell herself could have written this one haha, as there's more psychology than crime here. It's about a young girl's quest to trace her biological mother and what came out of it; absolutely riveting and also a bit creepy.

Back to top Go down
The Household Cat

The Household Cat

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 pm

I finished "The Fry Chronicles" a couple of days ago.

OMG, I'm in love with Stephen Fry. That's all I can say. ^^

Now I am reading "Less Than Zero". I'm almost halfway through because it is very short. ^^

It's cool.
Back to top Go down
http://thehouseholdcat.tumblr.com
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 1:09 pm

^ Fry is a magic man. Love him. Smile

Rusty wrote:

Kill him Wink

Haha. Razz

Rusty wrote:

I'd love to recommend - if anyone's interested ;p - one of the best James books imho, Innocent Blood
It's not your classic James, Rendell herself could have written this one haha, as there's more psychology than crime here. It's about a young girl's quest to trace her biological mother and what came out of it; absolutely riveting and also a bit creepy.

Sounds good. I'll definitely have to check it out. Need to read as much crime as I can this year to increase my knowledge of the scope of the genre and maximise my results.

-

Romulus, My Father by Raimond Gaita. Again.

Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Anysound wrote:

Sounds good. I'll definitely have to check it out. Need to read as much crime as I can this year to increase my knowledge of the scope of the genre and maximise my results.

Ohhh, in that case... can I recommend some more stuff? What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 Unsure
Are you by any chance familiar with Ian Rankin? He's number one Scottish crime fiction writer, and boy, did he lead a colourful life or what lol Before he took to writing he worked as grape-picker, swineherd (LOL), taxman, alcohol researcher (heheh), hi-fi journalist and punk musician Very Happy
His Inspector Rebus is no less colourful a character lol A rogue policeman if ever there was one, haha

Anyway, I especially enjoyed A Question of Blood and Doors Open, the first dealing with killings at a posh school, the other is about a rich (and bored to death) guy who wants to commit a perfect crime involving certain works of art.

btw If you decide to check out Rankin you'll have to get used to his Scottish English idiosyncrasies ;p
For example "haar" = mist off the North Sea lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)   What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc) - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you reading right now? (books, magazines etc)
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next