The Vines Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Verve Thread

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Household Cat

The Household Cat

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Oookaaayyyy.

Here it is again.

Here is the place to talk about (The) Verve, Richard Ashcroft, The Black Ships and whatever else you can think of Verve-wise.

albino
Back to top Go down
http://thehouseholdcat.tumblr.com
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 7:59 am

cheers Great thread, definitely was needed. Razz

I'm afraid I'll have to start off with some bad news... apparently there's not much hope for The Black Ships' LP coming out any time soon due to finance ' label problems. They want to get signed but haven't yet and feel it's worthless to put it out when no one will hear it. That's fair enough I guess... but still, we've been waiting so long! Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/illusionvalley
The Household Cat

The Household Cat

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 12:56 am

Anysound wrote:
cheers Great thread, definitely was needed. Razz

I'm afraid I'll have to start off with some bad news... apparently there's not much hope for The Black Ships' LP coming out any time soon due to finance ' label problems. They want to get signed but haven't yet and feel it's worthless to put it out when no one will hear it. That's fair enough I guess... but still, we've been waiting so long! Neutral
pale

Oh noes.

I can understand that, too.

OK, right, here it goes. I just HAD to google it. I've been planning to do that for weeks. Oh GOD, I am so excited. XD

Richard Ashcroft on The Adjustment Bureau Tracks
Michael Wright
|

If you were one of the millions of viewers who have watched Matt Damon’s sci-fi thriller, The Adjustment Bureau, during the past two weeks, you may have wondered where that massive, string-laden track during the end credits came from. The voice is instantly recognizable — ’90s Britpop icon Richard Ashcroft. But the track itself – “Are You Ready?” – turned out to be a launching pad for further incidental music for the film.

"It was another thing that turned up out of the blue really," Ashcroft told Spinner. "It came out of the director, George Nolfi, hearing “Are You Ready?” and wanting to use it as the outro of the film. Then he suggested we do something together for the start of the film.”

And so, Oscar-nominated composer Thomas Newman (The Shawshank Redemption, Road to Perdition, WALL-E) hopped a flight to London to collaborate with Ashcroft. The result was the synthy rocker, “Future’s Bright.”

"The guy flew over from L.A. to London and we went into a studio here. He had a Wurlitzer keyboard and I had a Vocoder, and we just did a tune. Then I got some of the guys from the United Nations of Sound band to put some guitar and drums on it in Australia, when we was on tour. It was finished in L.A. Yeah, it was all good."

Ashcroft’s United Nations of Sound album – which features “Are You Ready?” – is being released in the U.S. today.

"The guy flew over from L.A. to London and we went into a studio here. He had a Wurlitzer keyboard and I had a Vocoder, and we just did a tune."
Bloody mindf***. XD Oh my...

Aaaaaah, just imagine that. It's... like.... ok... no one except me on this planet will care about this. Probably. Oh God. Oh God. I am sitting in my bedroom being happy as f*** about this piece of information.

Hahaha. "The guy". Hahaha, omggggggg. Richard, I envy you!!!!!!

Omggg, Elena, ILU. Hug You're on page 1 of my Google search.

It's totally surreal how obsessed I am with this guy. Really... Just... Like Richard he came at just the right time. Just when I needed it most.

Oh God, just imagine their conversations in the studio. Ahahaha, omgggggg. Richard with his thick Northern accent and Thomas with his.... cjxdnvjxdvxjnj. XD You know... Thomas all Californian and that and with his posh language, omgggg. I am excited. Very Happy

Listening to the Six Feet Under main title. Yet again. And again. It's just so great. Hahaha. I even watched the pilot already.

This track was written specifically for the opening of the film 'The Adjustment Bureau', starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. It is a collaboration between Richard Ashcroft and Tom Newman (10 times Oscar-nominated). The film is based on a short story by Philip K. Dick.
Hahaha, looool. Please notice the 10 times nominated! XD XD XD Damn... he sounds like an abstract concept there. The abstract concept of Thomas Newman. The guy's real, man. XD

OK... This was supposed to be a thread about The Verve... Sorry guys.

OK, here's what Richard had to say:

The Adjustment Bureau

Posted by Richard Ashcroft on Feb 28th, 2011

Last year I had the pleasure of working on the film The Adjustment Bureau thanks to director George Nolfi,I was asked to work on a song for the opening sequence with one of the greatest film composers of recent times Thomas Newman,this resulted in the song - Futures Bright & the inclusion of Are You Ready for the closing credits. Check out the website links & add your own pictures to the video... your pictures will seamlessly be joined with George Nolfi's incredible video.

http://www.richardashcroft.co.uk/brain-page/entry/the_adjustment_bureau1

OK, right, Richard, I may have said a billion times already, but today I really mean it: ILU. Love Love Love

"one of the greatest film composers of recent times" - I died. XD Yeah, Richard, he's the shit. Love Oh God, so much love in one evening. I knew it would be worth the search.

By the way, the opening track on the "Wall-E" soundtrack is bliss. Love
Back to top Go down
The Household Cat

The Household Cat

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 12:58 am

OK, right, did Thomas take his own Wurlitzer keyboard on the plane with him?

No, actually, did Thomas also book a seat for the keyboard?

Omg, Thomas Newman on a plane. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Household Cat

The Household Cat

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 1:00 am

OK, also Philip K. Dick is one of Keanu Reeves' favourite authors and Keanu has played the lead role in "A Scanner Darkly". And... Thomas Newman has scored "The Prince of Pennsylvania". There is a link everywhere! Keanu also likes Sonic Youth. And Nick McCabe likes Sonic Youth, too. How great is that?!
Back to top Go down
The Household Cat

The Household Cat

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 1:11 am

OK, some more.

The album's first single, "Are You Ready?," has already made a substantial impact via a Volkswagen Jetta ad campaign and in promotions for Major League Baseball and 2010 FIFA World Cup Finals broadcasts. The song is also featured in the end credits for the film "The Adjustment Bureau," while Ashcroft teamed with Academy Award winner Tom Newman to write another song, "Future's Bright." "Tom came over to London, and it was bizarre," Ashcroft recalls. "I could've had a guitar and he could've played piano, but he ended up on a Wurlitzer and I was playing a vocoder -- two keyboards writing a tune in different rooms. It was interesting."
http://www.billboard.com/news/richard-ashcroft-mixes-hip-hop-with-rock-1005058562.story#/news/richard-ashcroft-mixes-hip-hop-with-rock-1005058562.story

Love Love Love

Verve vocalist Richard Ashcroft teamed up with the American film score composer Thomas Newman to pen this song for the opening credits of the 2011 movie, The Adjustment Bureau. Newman has penned the soundtrack for over 50 movies including Shawshank Redemption, Finding Nemo and American Beauty. He is a member of a Hollywood film-scoring dynasty that includes his father Alfred Newman, his uncle Lionel Newman, his brother David Newman, and his cousins Joey Newman and Randy Newman.
Hahaha, I feel so sorry for Thomas sometimes.

Someone on the Radiohead board I think said something about Sofia Coppola just being able to direct because her father is such a great and famous director. Stuff like that. And it reaaaaally pissed me off. So, all other directors had to work harder? She didn't have to do anything? Anyone who knows something about directing also knows that becoming a director is not that easy and you always have to be lucky to gain respect and fans. And most of all, you have to convince the critics. Rolling Eyes So no director or film composer has deserved to be what he or she is because... they were lucky? Doesn't make sense.

You know, I'd write "He's the bee's knees, he's a brilliant BAMF with good taste". And great hair. Hahahahahahaha.

Sorry.

But it's true. You know...

Hair... Love

affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 1:36 am

Hahaha, awhh, you're sooo cute for getting so excited about this but I can totally see where you're coming from. It must be a big deal for you considering it's news regarding two men you love so much. I would be the same, I think. ^_^

Oh and also, what do you mean I come up in the first page of Google results? Shocked I guess you mean a post on my Tumblr? What did you search?
Back to top Go down
The Household Cat

The Household Cat

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 1:49 am

Anysound wrote:
Hahaha, awhh, you're sooo cute for getting so excited about this but I can totally see where you're coming from. It must be a big deal for you considering it's news regarding two men you love so much. I would be the same, I think. ^_^

Oh and also, what do you mean I come up in the first page of Google results? Shocked I guess you mean a post on my Tumblr? What did you search?
Just "Richard Ashcroft Thomas Newman". I think.

I don't even know why I am that obsessed with this man. It's really funny, actually. But the other day I freaked out one of my friends by making up an imaginary live orchestra performance with Thomas Newman. Just like that. Laughing

Hahaha, I even remember how I told her that David would conduct the orchestra to play the 20th Century Fox theme which their father Alfred had composed in the... 40s, I think. And David rearranged it for "Anastasia" - which I never watched in full. I think I started watching it on Youtube...

Oh God, why is Thomas Newman so perfect? Dear me...

There's just something about this guy.

OK... I have a year-long obsession with "Finding Nemo". No questions. XD

And "American Beauty" is probably my favourite score. Even more than the "Finding Nemo" score.
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:27 am

The Household Cat wrote:

Just "Richard Ashcroft Thomas Newman". I think.

I don't even know why I am that obsessed with this man. It's really funny, actually. But the other day I freaked out one of my friends by making up an imaginary live orchestra performance with Thomas Newman. Just like that. Laughing

Hahaha, I even remember how I told her that David would conduct the orchestra to play the 20th Century Fox theme which their father Alfred had composed in the... 40s, I think. And David rearranged it for "Anastasia" - which I never watched in full. I think I started watching it on Youtube...

Oh God, why is Thomas Newman so perfect? Dear me...

There's just something about this guy.

OK... I have a year-long obsession with "Finding Nemo". No questions. XD

And "American Beauty" is probably my favourite score. Even more than the "Finding Nemo" score.

Oh yes, I see now. Do you mean how a result from Fuck Yeah The Verve comes up? Well, you'll be happy to know your Thomas Newman thread on this forum comes up under that result, too. Razz

And hahah, I know the feeling. Whenever my friends let me go on and on about Richard or the Verve or another band, I love them/ that moment so much, especially because I know they couldn't care less. Razz And it's even better when they make jokes about the band/ its members. ^_^
Back to top Go down
The Household Cat

The Household Cat

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Anysound wrote:

Oh yes, I see now. Do you mean how a result from Fuck Yeah The Verve comes up? Well, you'll be happy to know your Thomas Newman thread on this forum comes up under that result, too. Razz

And hahah, I know the feeling. Whenever my friends let me go on and on about Richard or the Verve or another band, I love them/ that moment so much, especially because I know they couldn't care less. Razz And it's even better when they make jokes about the band/ its members. ^_^
Of course it comes up. ^^ It has to. Because there is... not a lot of... personal stuff on him on the internet. You know... you always get the odd site where someone says "OMG, he's so great", but... let's say there is hardly anything substantial except for two other sites.

And The Innocents' Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/theinnocents1982

Just look:

The Verve Thread L
Hahaha, he's like... "I'm like so totally good-looking, look at me". This always amuses me.

But...

He does look good, you know...

OK, um...

The Verve...

Very Happy

I always think that if Nick McCabe were a composer, he'd be Thomas Newman. But that's totally superficial, you know, because Nick would never use a big orchestra, which Thomas - self-confirmed minimilaist - does use. ^^

On the "Wall-E" soundtrack there are... 49 violins!
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Ohhh okay, that makes sense then, yeah. And haha, great picture. Very Happy

That's interesting, to imagine Nick as a composer. Shocked
Back to top Go down
The Household Cat

The Household Cat

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Composer Nick McCabe Love

I thought about him yesterday because I have never heard another human being play guitar like that.

It's... pretty genre-less. And... It really IS more like colouring than... say... a distinct melody - even though his playing is a lot about melody.

But more like... "textures and sounds".

This - again - is a reference to Thomas Newman. Best composer of all time.

Just kidding. I'm just a bit obsessed. "a bit"

This is a quote by Alan Poul who was part of the production team of "Six Feet Under" and he was talking about the sound samples that Thomas offered for the main theme for the series. I have listened to the main title about 30 times. Great theme.
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Nick is fkn AWESOME.

That's all ;p
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 4:19 am

Rusty wrote:
Nick is fkn AWESOME.

That's all ;p

x 100000 +238290480948

Very Happy

-

Btw, I'm in the process of uploading Nick's jams to FYTV. Very Happy If you're interested, the first one can be found here. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Anysound wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Nick is fkn AWESOME.

That's all ;p

x 100000 +238290480948

Very Happy
Very Happy

Anysound wrote:
Btw, I'm in the process of uploading Nick's jams to FYTV. Very Happy If you're interested, the first one can be found here. Smile
Ohh... this sounds ever so nice ^_^ Thanks! Very Happy

"absentmindedpancakes"? ;p
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 5:58 am

Rusty wrote:

Ohh... this sounds ever so nice ^_^ Thanks! Very Happy

"absentmindedpancakes"? ;p

Not a problem. Glad you like it. Very Happy

And haha, yeaaah, she's awesome. Razz I think she once explained her username with the simplicity of something like, "I like the sound of it". :')
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Anysound wrote:

Not a problem. Glad you like it. Very Happy
Love it! There will be more I hope? Very Happy

Anysound wrote:
And haha, yeaaah, she's awesome. Razz I think she once explained her username with the simplicity of something like, "I like the sound of it". :')
lol
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Rusty wrote:

Love it! There will be more I hope? Very Happy
lol

At least 3 more. Then I'll see if I can upload jams he's done with others. They'll be fairly spread out though, as I try to get audio posts to last a while since there aren't that many (not including album tracks and b-sides). The last "series" I did had 19 tracks so it was okay to post more than one a week, but there are less Nick jams. Sad
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Can you post links to those pieces here, after you upload them to your blog?
Please? :S
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 6:51 am

Of course I can. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Anysound wrote:
Of course I can. Smile
Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 8:30 pm

Anysound wrote:
Lucky Man Into Neon Wilderness

Very Happy
Oh niiiiiiiice Very Happy
You can like, zone out totally here ^_^
Thanks!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Rusty wrote:

Oh niiiiiiiice Very Happy
You can like, zone out totally here ^_^
Thanks!! Very Happy

Yeah. Love No problem. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Anysound

Anysound

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 8:34 am

The Way the Light Bends

The last of the three I have in MP3 format that are entirely Nick's creations.

Speaking of McCabe, guess who's been talking to Elly a bit lately? I'm so pathetic for getting so excited over this but lkdjfljg she even seems to like me! ^_^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Verve Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Verve Thread   The Verve Thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Verve Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next