The Vines Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anyone here from the old days?

Go down 
+11
amy.h
Loaded Mind
Ihatemusic
allie9609
Rusty
FindAWayOut
braindead
ohwellwhatevernevermind
The Household Cat
Anysound
omgwtf
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
omgwtf

omgwtf

Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm

allie9609 wrote:
Tell me about it! 8 years of university and two degrees! I finished at the end of 2010 Smile . Good to see you around again! What are you up to? How've you been? Still writing music?

2010? That's insane! I've honestly never known you be anything else other than a student, haha. Well, I'm glad you're finished with that now anyway. As for me, I haven't really been upto anything that exciting. At the moment, I work for an insurance company and pretty much photo copy things all day long. Rolling Eyes It's thrilling stuff. I'm definitely getting job satisfaction. I've been alright though. I've just been trying to save up to go away somewhere nice this summer, but I'm still undecided on where I want to go. I'm also still writing songs, but the older I get, the more miserable and depressing the songs are, haha. I did post a few new songs here a while ago, but the links have probably expired now. How about you though? How's everything going? I saw that you were travelling for a while last year, so that must've been amazing. I bet the American men were fighting over you. After all, you would've been exotic to them with your accent and that. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.soundcloud.com/stobieboy
Anysound

Anysound

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 8:17 am

allie9609 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm still here... though this only the second time I've been on Wink . I've just been so busy with work, I haven't had a chance to check things out. Nice looking forum... and I notice a distinct lack of spam! A definite plus!
I miss the old days as well, before the spambots... Wow. I've been a member of various different Vines forums for almost 10 years now Shocked . Feeling old!
Good to see a few people here I remember!

Welcome back. Very Happy And yeah, we're more than coping now that there's virtually no spam (I haven't had to delete anything as yet! Shocked ). Massive improvement. Very Happy

And awh, you're not old! ^_^ I hope you're well and that you've been enjoying work, even though it sounds very time consuming!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/illusionvalley
Ihatemusic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 12:36 pm

I just registered only to reply to this thread...

I kinda thought of the Vines last night before I fell asleep so I thought I should google them.
It's really weird to see familiar names after so many years.

Ah, remember that competition where the prizes were neve sent out? Fun times.
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Ihatemusic wrote:
I just registered only to reply to this thread...

I kinda thought of the Vines last night before I fell asleep so I thought I should google them.
It's really weird to see familiar names after so many years.

Ah, remember that competition where the prizes were neve sent out? Fun times.
Lea! Woot
Remember the Radiohead time on the old forum? ;p
Ahh, those were the days...
Back to top Go down
Ihatemusic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm actually still into Radiohead. Not as obsessively but enough to cash out 120 euros to see them twice this summer.

But I do have a slight fan obsession thingie... Haven't had for a long time but now I'm, um, into football.

Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 A15
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Ihatemusic wrote:
I'm actually still into Radiohead. Not as obsessively but enough to cash out 120 euros to see them twice this summer.
Oh wow, awesome Very Happy

Ihatemusic wrote:
But I do have a slight fan obsession thingie... Haven't had for a long time but now I'm, um, into football.

Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 A15
Messi! Woot

I love this guy ^_^
Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 Messi+Free+Palestine
Back to top Go down
Ihatemusic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 3:27 pm

It's not just Messi, though. I'm very much in love with FC Barcelona and their way of playing.
My boyfriend really got me into football. Neutral
Back to top Go down
omgwtf

omgwtf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Barcelona are a disgusting outfit. Pretty much cheated their way to 2 Champions League finals (see the Chelsea vs Barcelona semi-final in 2009 and the Real Madrid vs Barcelona semi-final in 2010 for confirmation). They dive and wave imaginary cards at the referee constantly, FFS. It's quite painful to watch, it really is. Having said that though, they are one of the greatest teams the world has ever seen in terms of ability, so you can't take that away from them. It's just ashame they go about their business in a very dirty fashion. By the way, it's all about the Bayern München. Cool
Back to top Go down
Ihatemusic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Eh, what? Barcelona cheat way less than Madrid does, and they don't play anywhere near as dirty as most Spanish teams do. Though in Barcelona it's pretty: the least talent, the most cheating.

Bayern München is good, though...
Back to top Go down
Loaded Mind

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Hey guys!
I didn't really have any plans to join the new forum, but after seeing this thread I've decided to.
omgwtf mentioning people I remember chatting to years ago has got me feeling nostalgic. I'm not sure if anyone remembers me, but I was a regular poster for a couple of years, mostly during the Vision Valley/Melodia days. (I'm Bridget from Australia)

Omgwtf, Rusty (Vinny), and Allie, nice to see you guys again! (of course I'm friends with Allie on FB anyway) Smile Omgwtf, I remember listening to your music, in fact I still have one of your songs on my computer in itunes! Great stuff Very Happy

I'm still a fan of the Vines, and got to see them live 3 times in 2011. but I'm afraid I wasn't too impressed with Future Primitive, I think they could've done better. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Loaded Mind wrote:
Hey guys!
I didn't really have any plans to join the new forum, but after seeing this thread I've decided to.
omgwtf mentioning people I remember chatting to years ago has got me feeling nostalgic. I'm not sure if anyone remembers me, but I was a regular poster for a couple of years, mostly during the Vision Valley/Melodia days. (I'm Bridget from Australia)

Omgwtf, Rusty (Vinny), and Allie, nice to see you guys again! (of course I'm friends with Allie on FB anyway) Smile Omgwtf, I remember listening to your music, in fact I still have one of your songs on my computer in itunes! Great stuff Very Happy

I'm still a fan of the Vines, and got to see them live 3 times in 2011. but I'm afraid I wasn't too impressed with Future Primitive, I think they could've done better. Neutral
Hi Bridget, it's so good to see you here Woot
Welcome back ^_^

Back to top Go down
Loaded Mind

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks, great to see you too Rusty!
Your obsessive love of Radiohead is entertaining Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rusty

Rusty

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 10:37 pm

Loaded Mind wrote:
Thanks, great to see you too Rusty!
Very Happy
I wonder how many ppl from the old forum this thread will still attract Wink

Cheers Dan for making it Very Happy

Loaded Mind wrote:
Your obsessive love of Radiohead is entertaining Laughing
Sadly, it's obsessive no longer ;p
Back to top Go down
omgwtf

omgwtf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Loaded Mind wrote:
Hey guys!

It's good to see you're still around. How are things? What's new? I really agree with what you said about Future Primitive, by the way. I think there was one track that I liked, but it was easily the worst album they've ever released. The problem is, Craig had years and years to work on Highly Evolved and part of Winning Days, but that's not possible for him these days. The last album just felt really rushed to me. Although, in saying that, Melodia is probably my favourite Vines' album, so he obviously can still produce a great album in a short space of time.
Back to top Go down
amy.h

amy.h

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 am

Hey dudes! My name is Amy and I was about 15 when I started going on the old forums (2002-2003). I was very active, but lost touch with everyone over the years. (TEN YEARS?!)

I was having a bout of nostalgia myself this week and got curious as to what the boys were up to these days. I'm super bummed I missed out on seeing them again before Hamish & Ryan left. Seems pretty dark to me now.

On the forum I had a great rapport with an older Australian girl in her twenties who was in a band called Bastian. We would chat frequently and she would send me songs. She sent me the most beautiful cover of the Bright Eyes song Nothing Gets Crossed Out and I would listen to it everyday. I wish I could hear it again now!

Seeing the username AnySound feels so odd - like it's from a dream I had a long time ago. I absolutely remember your activity on the forum.

I spent many late nights and Saturday mornings in the chat rooms talking to different people from all over the world. I was SO young and I just remember reading all of the older member's posts and thinking they were so funny. Thinking back on it - that was my first introduction to wit and dry humor and I practically studied the way they talked to each other. That was such a huge influence on me and in a really positive way - I think I have a pretty great sense of humor now thanks to them Smile

I fondly remember the zine DTI that BrooklynGirl would send out - I had all of them until I sold my Vines collection on Ebay in 2006. Tons of magazines in perfect condition- the Rolling Stone cover, the SPIN issue with all of The Strokes on different covers, but that great Vines article included. T-shirts, posters, and stickers.

I also attribute my musical tastes to the users of the forum. It was where I discovered bands like Belle & Sebastian, Rilo Kiley, Elliott Smith, The Shins. I was 16 and collecting all of these wonderful albums and reading all of this incredible material.

I would just have to say thank you to all the members of the old forum for being so fucking rad and whether you knew it or not you had a huge POSITIVE influence on me. I truly, truly appreciate it and will ALWAYS look back fondly on those times!

I leave you all with this : youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/amyhunt
omgwtf

omgwtf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:23 pm

The old forum wasn't even created until 2004, so I'm not entirely sure what forum you were posting on? Was it over at Dreamin' The Insane or something? Other than that, I've no idea. What was your old username? Anyway, nonetheless, welcome. The forum definitely needed more yanks.
Back to top Go down
amy.h

amy.h

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Wait the .net one wasn't until 2004? Are you sure? I feel like we were all on there at least in 2003! I may have my dates wrong - it has been a few years!

I have no idea what my old username was. I've been trying to remember and advanced searching the internet for my name or something so I could go back and probably be mortified by some of the silly stuff I said at 16. I'd actually really love to see that. HA!
Back to top Go down
omgwtf

omgwtf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 6:01 pm

I'm pretty sure the forum we all used to post on was created in November 2004, yeah. For what it's worth, if you ever remember your old username, the old forum is still online, so you can still read through old posts. Don't worry about being mortified either. I went backed and looked over some of my old posts when I created this thread and dear god, they can't be any worse than that. Genuinely thought I knew it all at 17, haha. What a tool. Laughing
Back to top Go down
amy.h

amy.h

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Okay so I did some digging, and I found this thread:

thevines.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?showtopic=39

It seemed like the .net got deleted before the .com forum was established! Hence my confusion? Or... am I interpreting this wrong?

Help!
Back to top Go down
omgwtf

omgwtf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 2:12 pm

amy.h wrote:
Okay so I did some digging, and I found this thread:

thevines.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?showtopic=39

It seemed like the .net got deleted before the .com forum was established! Hence my confusion? Or... am I interpreting this wrong?

Help!

Ok, I see now. Well, I'm not sure there will be anyone here from the .net forum. Most of the members who are here only posted on .com as far as I'm aware. I could be wrong though. By the way, I like some of the bands you listed in your first post. What else do you like?
Back to top Go down
amy.h

amy.h

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 7:14 pm

omgwtf wrote:

By the way, I like some of the bands you listed in your first post. What else do you like?

Hmm! Well, these days I've been really into the following:

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - youtu.be/1gLn85TMOzQ

Kelley Stoltz - youtu.be/KcoLkzG0tS4

Fruit Bats - youtu.be/MUYRJrxjzGI

Pure-X - youtu.be/UYmQs11ycPU

Dirty Beaches - youtu.be/c1npX5-CP0A

Other than those bands, I listen to mostly newer independent label artists, Motown, and lots of little 60's songs like : youtu.be/eJcz8tpxd70

Guilty Pleasures : Lana Del Rey, Drake
Old Favorites : Devendra Banhardt, Jenny Lewis, Rilo Kiley, Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, The Strokes, The White Stripes, Cat Power

How about you?
Back to top Go down
omgwtf

omgwtf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 1:31 pm

I've hardly even heard of many of those bands, tbh. I'll check a few of them out though because I could definitely use some new music to listen to. I've pretty much just been milking the stuff I currently own, haha. It's funny because I used to listen to quite a lot of Devendra Banhardt when I was younger, but I had totally forgotten about him until your post. The Strokes and Bright Eyes are another two that I really like, too. As for me, some of my favourite bands would be; La Dispute, mewithoutYou, Alkaline Trio, Iron & Wine, Johnny Cash, The Everly Brothers, The Killers, Explosions in the Sky and The Shadows. I don't know. I like quite a lot of things. I like things from Aphex Twin to Rammstein or Owl City to Slim Shady. What do you think of The Vines' these days, btw? Still a fan?
Back to top Go down
amy.h

amy.h

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Oh my gosh I ADORE Aphex Twin! I was introduced to them via the Marie Antoinette soundtrack. I am also a huge fan of The Radio Dept... that band is so amazing. Pulling Our Weight?? COME ON. That whole soundtrack is fantastic, actually.

I listened to Iron & Wine a lot in high school and he is just so nostalgic for me now. I think that mewithoutyou and Alkaline Trio are slightly off my taste spectrum, but I have lots of friends who listen to them so I have heard them quite often.

I haven't heard The Shadows or La Dispute, I'll have to look them up.

So I just started listening to The Vines again this past month and the first week that I started listening again I listened non-stop. I feel like there is just this super dreamy quality to a lot of the songs - some are a little too rowdy for my taste - but it doesn't feel contrived or super commercial.

I spent so many hours in high school listening to their music that when I listened this past month I felt like I reconnected with a part of myself and that was kind of a new experience. I remembered a lot of things I felt back then or things I thought. Very strange! But the melodys and bridges on so many of his songs are just... so floaty and absolutely beautiful.

It's super unfortunate that the band can not get their shit together- can't get along, kicking members out - not communicating with their fans. It's really disrespectful to the people who have been so supportive over the past 10 years.

anyway, I'm curious to see what happens next with all of the original members of the band.
Back to top Go down
omgwtf

omgwtf

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 9:19 pm

What songs are a bit too "rowdy", in your opinion? Do you prefer the slower, more chilled out songs? For me, up until their latest album, they'd never even released a bad tune. I'm really not mad on their last album at all, but apart from that, most of Craig's material verges on the edge of genius. I think Homesick is genuinely one of the best songs of all time. The outro is beyond all basic comprehension, tbh. It never gets old. Highly Evolved, Winning Days and Melodia have inspired me on so many levels, I couldn't even begin to explain. If it wasn't for those albums, I definitely wouldn't have written as many songs as I have.

For what it's worth, don't worry about the future of the band. Craig is The Vines. If he keeps recording material and writing new songs, I'll be happy. In saying that though, they've never really been the same since Patrick left, so to me, The Vines died a long time ago. Well, the best version of The Vines, at least. The albums that he didn't play bass on really lacked that extra special something that he brought to the table. I'd love it if Craig and Patrick would work together again.
Back to top Go down
braindead

braindead

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 7:46 pm

where is saragriffiths?? (from chile)
she died?
or was abducted by aliens?

Back to top Go down
http://www.www.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here from the old days?   Anyone here from the old days? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone here from the old days?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next