The Vines Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kitty

Kitty

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Almost Famous
Vines Tour Diary
April 2002
NME

With most bands careful products of well-oiled PR machines, it's difficult to get a honest insight into life on the road. Which is why THE VINES diary is great. Straight-talking words of a band on tour, and not just any band. A band that had been compared to NIRVANA, and is billed to be the next 'it' band. In a few months time you won't be able to get within six feet of them. And you'll be able to say, I remember them when...

Friday, April 5
Patrick Matthews

"We've been in the country a couple of days and are still trying to adjust to the time difference. The last time we came over I only slept a couple of hours each night. The Astoria is a much bigger venue than we're used to. We did play large venues in Australia supporting You Am I, but no one turned up because we were bottom of the bill and all the punters were probably in the pub having cheap beer.

We always get really nervous before a gig. We did the usual smoking of cigarettes and applying of hairspray, and then we were pleased to see a lot of people in the audience. I think we went down well, but it's hard to tell in a big venue because you can't feel people get into you and feel the vibe when you shift gear. p>The Music were great, really exciting. I have their single 'Take The Long Road and Walk It', but they're even better live. Doves were good, too. I've got their new album and I like the production and sound thing they've got going on there."

Saturday, April 6
Patrick Matthews

"After the gig last night we went to the after-party and then back to the hotel for bloody marys and tequila shots. We didn't do too much as we had to be up early for CD:UK this morning. It was mental, with these kids of about 12 pogo-ing and screaming. I don't even know if kids of that age like rock. I didn't get into it until I was 14. I don't think we'll ever have a big hit back home, but over here it's different. I don't think I'll ever be famous ? I'm the bassist! You have to be a band like U2 for the bassist to be famous. Still, if it does happen, I'll be expecting a call from Naomi Campbell.

We'd heard a lot about the presenter of CD:UK, Cat Deeley, from a guy at our record label. We were hoping to meet her, but we didn't get interviewed in the end. When we left, all these kids were screaming and rushing up to our limo with tinted windows. When they peered in and discovered we weren't the Sugababes, I think they were disappointed.

Tonight we're not playing a gig, so we're going to rest up a while and then go out and explore the nightlife London has to offer."

Sunday April 7
Patrick Matthews

"Last night we went out with Rob from our record label Heavenly. He DJs at the Heavenly Social in London, so we went there to listen to him play loads of gay disco shit. He played Kylie, which isn?t so great, but he also played Mary J Blige, which was a good thing. We were still drinking at 7am. There?s no point in fighting jetlag.

We got up at 5pm today and watched ?AI?, ?Legally Blonde? and ?The Others? ? all those enduring classics that were just too good to be shown on the flight over here. After that I watched that Factory Records documentary. It reminded me to go and buy ?Bummed? this week. Happy Mondays are a warning about what?s going to happen to us! Drugs are much more available and cheaper in Britain than Australia. Er, did I say there?s no point in fighting jetlag?"

Monday, April 8
Patrick Matthews

"We?ve been talking to Japanese press today. The translator was good, he had all his ?r?s and everything. The questions were surprisingly good. We were expecting something like ?your music is like happy sunshine ? please explain?, but the Japanese are more interested in things like ?the release of melody?. They were also fixated on the idea of us being a cross between American alternative and British alternative, which is true.

This afternoon we?re going to record four songs for radio that will also be broadcast on NME.COM. This whole tour is about getting new fans and selling the record. Maybe next time we?re in Britain there will be Vines mania!

We?ve got the night off tonight, but I don?t know what we?ll do. We?re not big explorers, apart from Hamish, our drummer. He gets up early, goes to bed late, then snores. Which would be okay, but I?m sharing a room with him. Sharing a room with a snoring drummer isn?t the glamorous lifestyle I?d imagined. I?m going to get Hamish a mouth mould. I understand they hurt for the first three months, but he?ll get used to it."

Tuesday, April 9
Craig Nicholls

We recorded two songs for the radio yesterday, ?Highly Evolved? and ?1969?. They're totally different. '1969' is the last track on the album, it's about seven minutes long and it's got loads of different levels. Just in case you're confused, it's not a cover of The Stooges song!

I went to bed really early last night. I'm taking it as easy as possible because we?ve got so much to do on this tour. The other guys went to the Heavenly Social bar for its jazz night [with NME deputy editor James 'Jimmy Baby Hop Scop Shag' Oldham on the wheels of steel]. I don't like jazz - there are no vocals.

I went to the back doctor today. I've had a problem for years. It gives me grief and tension, but it doesn't effect me on stage. The music we play is so powerful mentally it takes over everything. I'm looking forward to the gig tonight [at London Dingwalls] because we get to play a full set. We only had half an hour supporting Doves and we've got a lot of songs we want to play."

Thursday, April 11
Craig Nicholls

"We played a lot of songs last night. It [Dingwalls] is a good venue and there was a good vibe coming from the crowd. I didn't know until afterwards that Arthur Lee [maverick frontman of 60s psych-pop legends Love] was there. I don't have all of his records, but what I've got I like. James Dean Bradfield was there as well, but neither he nor Arthur came backstage after the show, but that's cool. Actually, I can?t remember too much?

Today I didn?t do much. It was cold out, so I didn?t feel up to much. I did buy some albums, ?Isn?t Anything and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. I've got Loveless at home, but I bought it again because I wanted to hear it now. It's not a favourite record, but I was in the mood for it. My favourite album at the moment is the Pete Yorn one. I've been playing it every day. At the gig last night I wrote his name on my arm in tribute.

I'm really looking forward to the gig tonight. We?re going to be playing songs we haven't played live before. We've hardly rehearsed them, so it's going to be fun on stage. It's kind of weird that this is the third time we've played in London in six days, but everything seems weird when we?re playing. It's good for us to keep playing; we've just finished the album and we like getting the chance to play it."

Wednesday, April 10
Patrick Matthews

Wednesday April 10

"People said our show last night was louder than usual, but it?s difficult to tell when you?re on stage. The first song we played, ?Ride?, we haven?t played live before. That is loud, it?s just a stupid 60s rock song. After the gig we got very pissed at the hotel bar. We almost got hurled out of the hotel. The support band Tetra Splendour was staying at the same hotel and we enjoyed the drinks. I don?t think I should say too much about it, but I can tell you people were being very loud and crawling around the toilet floor.

I haven?t seen our bar bill yet and I?m not sure I want to. Bloody Marys are ?7?but after you?ve been drinking a while it?s hard to stop. We?ve sobered up and we?ve just soundchecked for Top Of The Pops. We?re playing live tonight. It?s a good bill, because Oasis are playing seven songs which I?m going to watch. I like Oasis, but the last time we were in NME there was a caption saying I preferred Blur. They got me on the wrong day there.

Stereophonics are playing as well. Kelly Jones was at the gig last night. Maybe we?ll all go out for a drink later. I?d love to steal Oasis? rider. It?s massive and would stop our bar bill going through the roof?"

Thursday, April 11

Singer, Craig Nicholls, manages to stay awake long enough to write...

"We played Top Of The Pops tonight. It's a good show, I've watched it before so it was exciting to be on it. We played Highly Evolved and Get Free, which will be our next single in Britain and our first in America. I wanted to watch Oasis play their seven songs, but I was just too tired. Some of the guys watched them and enjoyed their thing.

I did speak to Kelly Jones, who's really cool. I don't have any Stereophonics CDs, but they make some great singles. I watched them play and they were really good. After the recording, we did a photo shoot, an interview and then went back to the hotel. We just watched a movie and went to bed. It?s getting to the stage of the tour where we're ready to crash out after we're done playing. Besides, we never did steal Oasis' rider!"

Friday, April 12
Craig Nicholls

"We recorded a TV show today. I have no idea which one it was. We played Get Free and a cover of OutKast's Miss Jackson. We've just recorded that in the studio for a future b-side. It wasn't our intention when we started the band to play covers because we've got so many of our own songs. When we were in the studio, though, I had Miss Jackson going round in my head all the time, so I worked out the chords and we did a version.

Miss Jackson was such a big hit that we didn't record it before. We want to make it with our own songs. Besides, we'd get no money from it and we're in it for the money! Doves played on the TV programme with us, and they did a really cool version of The Smiths' Please Let Me Get What I Want. The only other band I remember being on was LibertyX. I didn't see them, but a few people told me they were shit. I'm very happy to believe that."

Saturday, April 13
Craig Nicholls

"We're playing with The Libertines in Oxford tonight. They're really cool guys, so I'm looking forward to it. I understand that Radiohead own part of the Zodiac venue were playing at, so I hope some of them come down. We're all totally big fans of them.

I haven't worked out a set list yet. I want to play for a long time, play as many of our songs as we can. Actually, there's another cover version we do that I might throw in, The Verves ?On Your Own?. We've no plans to record that. Like I said, we need all the money we can get. We're still in debt. We get free coke, which is a bonus, but we do need some money. Oh, that's Coca-Cola, just in case you were getting any ideas! Tomorrow we are doing absolutely nothing. No interviews, no recordings, nothing. I'm looking forward to my day off."

Sunday, April 14
Patrick Matthews

"Last night?s gig in Oxford was the best of the four we?ve done on this tour. We were up for it, really geared up. The Libertines were really good in support. I learned one of their songs. While they were playing, I worked out the chords to a song, then got the guys to teach me the words afterwards. I?ve since forgotten what song it was, what the chords are and how the lyrics go?

You can probably guess we had a good time afterwards. I met Mickey Quinn of Supergrass. He?s my bass idol. We got talking and there?s a chance that maybe we?ll tour with Supergrass in the future. I would love that. Today we wound down after last night and what I believe is called ?rock?n?roll relaxation?. I watched ten minutes of the Fulham v Chelsea football match. Ten minutes was quite enough. I?m more of a cricket fan, although you can?t watch that here. Well, not good cricket anyway!"

Monday, April 15
Patrick Matthews gets in the last word...

"We're rehearsing for ?Later with Jools Holland? today. We've got three songs to play. I don't know which ones, but we might throw in a big, slow one so Jools can play piano. I watched it last week and he played with the guy out of So Solid Crew, so it?s not just boogie woogie stuff he plays like I?d thought before.

We?re recording ?Later? tomorrow, and then it?s the end of our British tour. We?re going to LA, the rehab capital of the world. I?ll cut down on the fags, exercise daily and go vegetarian. Maybe. We?ve going to record a video straight after we get there and then we?re doing a show in the desert with The Strokes, Oasis and Bjork. We won?t be on stage until 9pm, so hopefully it?ll be cooler at that time of the night. Anyhow, we?ll be protected by LA?s smog layer that is so thick it covers the desert?s atmosphere. London is clean by comparison.

We?ll be back in the UK in June, after we finish playing in America. It?s exciting now that ?Highly Evolved? went into the charts at 32 yesterday. London could be my new home, I really like it here. Actually, if I lived here permanently I?d be dead within two years. I need to go to LA to do a bit of rehab every so often. See you in June!
Back to top Go down
http://assburgers-grrl.tumblr.com
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Smells Like Teen Angst
Musik Express
December 2002
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Musik1

If it hadn´t been for Kurt Cobain Craig Nicholls never would have picked up a guitar. In England the Vines are nowadays regarded as the best band since Nirvana.

Craig Nicholl's condition has dramatically worsened since we last met. Already coming across as slightly disoriented in June, this afternoon, hours before the concert in Munich, he is alarmingly absent-minded. When being led into the hotel room for the interview he is pale, his eyes are nearly closed. His head is thrown back when he greets me with an enraptured smile, a limp handshake and Hello, hello, hello. He drops into an armchair, rubs his face and hair while uttering undefinable sounds. Suddenly he says I like chocolate and a monologue about Gorillaz follows. By now a blonde girl who seems to be following him everywhere and a representative of the record label have sat down on the bed of the room. Both will stay there for the entire length of the interview. In short: Nicholls in an advanced stadium of crazy rockstardom. Just when being talked to directly he mobilizes the last remaining bit of concentration to get through a conversation which is several times in danger of falling apart.

Q: In June you were already fed up with touring. Since then youve been on stage nearly every night.

Craig: In return I dont get that fat although Im eating fast food. Im better at dealing with it now. I just throw stuff out of the window more often (With lightning speed he suddenly grabs a hotel brochure and throws it out of the window. Our recording equipment is gotten to safety). No, I just
have a brain damage. We want to go into the studio next year.

Q: How many guitars have you destroyed so far?

Craig: About five during these seven months on tour. I have zero respect for guitars. They arent instruments. Theyre tools.

Q: Have you ever hurt yourself on stage?

Not seriously. I always have cuts on my arms, hands and shins. Everybodys gotta do what they do, right? (He is rattling at the window and half-heartedly checking if its possible to unhinge it)

Q: Have you listened to the new Nirvana song yet?

Craig: Yeah, yeah. Its really... fuckin... excellent.

Q: How old were you when you discovered Nirvana?

15 or 16. Before that I liked a few Australian bands. I just really discovered music for myself when I got into Nirvana. It was incredible.

Q: How far did your admiration for Cobain go?

Im sure I had his posters. But apart from that... I just really liked his songs. Nevermind was fantastic. But I also listened to the Beatles, before my Kinks phase, long before Supergrass. But Nirvana had something really special, I dont even know what. Maybe its got something to do with teen
angst.

Q: You have been called best band since Nirvana.

Craig: As a band we of course want people to think that we are good. But we dont want to dictate them what to think. We also dont want other people to do that. But what kind of control do I have in this matter? I cant say anything about it.

Q: As an artist, would you compare yourself with Cobain?

Craig: Well, I have been inspired and influenced by him and the band. A parallel might be that were serious about it. The songs arent always love songs as you know it from 90% of the factory music. But I really dont want to say anything about it. Except maybe: I like the music. And I then also
liked the bands that Nirvana liked. I know that Nirvana were strongly influenced by the Pixies. And I also hear a large Beatles influence in their music. Even though its something completely different - something is similar. Maybe the fact that it really was a matter of life and death for
them.

Q: Do you make music for the same reasons as Cobain?

Craig: Rather not. I havent gone through a lot of tough things. Whats similar is the esteem for music and its effects. And that it becomes clear to you that you want to be a part of it. But that you dont want to make music to end up on the cover of a magazine or to be driven around in a limousine. But because something inside you caught fire.

Q: If you didnt have a rough childhood - are you composing songs more technically than Cobain?

Craig: Probably. But everyone is going through their own private hell each day, so I dont really know. I cant lie and say Yeah, fun, just found a rock band. Even though we were naive in the beginning. I didnt have any
ambitions. Now I forgot what you asked me about.

Q: Your artistic approach.

Craig: Yeah, right. There isnt an approach. It happens when it happens. But for me being in a band isnt about drinking and stuff. Its an art form. I want to get better. (The tourmanager drops by with a bulging McDonalds bag. Craig bows like a Buddhist monk and disappears into the room next door with
woman and fast food.)

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Craigdance

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Musik2

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Musik3

Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Firsts with Craig Nicholls
Magic! Magazine
July/August 2002 issue
Estelle Chardac

Highly Evolved? That's what we immediately think about the 1st album of the Vines, which doesn't lack of panache, nor of good ideas. What a surprise, then, to discover that Craig Nicholls, leader of the Aussie quartet, evolves in a restricted periphery, between shyness and autism.

1st musical memory?
Probably a track by the Beach Boys, a band you can't escape from when you live on the seaside in Australia (laughs). More seriously, I think it was I Get Around or Fun, Fun, Fun. But in all cases, their harmonies and tunes moved me at the first listen.

1st record you bought?
Faith No more, The Real Thing, the record with the Epic track on it. The video had caused much controversy at the time, because you could see a fish die at the end.

1st record from the Heavenly label you listened to?
In fact, that's funny, because I had bought some LPs without knowing it has been released on this label, like Lost Souls, by the Doves. I love the sound of this album, actually. And, as all the guys working at Heavenly are really cool, we are really honoured to be on this label in the UK.

1st australian band you loved?
(without hesitation) Ratcat! I was 14, 15 and they were very linked to this times of my life. Their advantage was to play quite traditional pop tunes but with a huge sound. If you pay attention, we have a quite similar approach, even if we listen to a lot of different styles: country, dance music, hard rock...

1st gig you went to?
Fur, an australian rock band lead by a female singer/guitarist. this band became a good source of inspiration. Er... especially the girl (laughs). Moreover, I militate seriously in favour of the female gender being more present in bands.

1st gig you played?
We played as a trio (note: with Patrick Matthews and David Olliffe) at a friend's birthday party, about 7 years ago. I think we were not really good, not to say we were really crap... but nevermind : even if there are pictures on our internet site, the expiry date is greatly out of its depth, and we really had fun.

1st band you adored?
Nirvana. I didn't wear their t-shirt, nor the whole grunge outfit, but I had all their records. As for me, it it was the height of poetic rock, at the same time primary and sophisticated, with a sound coming from hell! (laughs) And recently I found the same energy when I listened to Muse. the last record I have bought must have been their second album, Origin of Symmetry.

1st video you found outstanding?
I can't remember... But recently, i've been struck by the Plug In Baby one... by Muse! Because this is hi-fi and rock at the same time. I can't help it, sincerely : as you can see when I love something I don't do it in half! (laughs).

Without music?
Hmmm... I think that I would have focused on painting. I followed an art course. But the music appeal has been stronger than anything, and so, I really concentrated all my energy on this direction. In spite of this, I wish I could find the time to improve myself because visual arts and sculpture are activities I have a passion for.
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Revived Vines Spring from Dirt
Daily Telegraph
By Kathy McCabe
July 21, 2006 12:00

THEY were billed as Joe Dirt, the headline act on the weekly Jager Uprising showcase for aspiring young bands.

But it was The Vines who strode on to the small stage in the Annandale Hotel's back bar on Wednesday night to deliver the comeback show of the year.

For Craig Nicholls and his bandmates it marked a triumphant return to the live arena more than two years after the frontman was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, a mild form of autism.

Nicholls and guitarist Ryan Griffiths, drummer Hamish Rosser and new bass player Brad Heald have been rehearsing for months, focusing on the new material from their third album Vision Valley.

"Craig's pumped. He's so excited to be playing a gig again," a family member said before the secret show.

More than 200 fans crammed into the bar to witness the rejuvenated band, which appears ready to take on the world again.

"We can do anything now - that was great," an excited Griffiths said after the show.

It was fitting the band returned to the seminal venue which hosted its infamous last show in May 2004.

That concert resulted in the band being forced to stop touring while a medical explanation for Nicholls' increasingly erraticbehaviour was sought.

But he was obviously delighted to be back on stage last night, performing hit after hit - including Get Free, Ride and new single Anysound - and thanking the ecstatic fans for their loyal support.

The band is expected to organise a few more concerts soon after the success of the secret show.
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Wet grass spurs on Vines
Courier Mail
Patrick Lion
July 24, 2006

IT wasn't exactly a note-perfect comeback, but The Vines have never been about smooth edges.

The Sydney rock group were the "mystery band" on the final day of Byron Bay's Splendour in the Grass festival yesterday, ending a three-year hiatus from major stages.

The Vines have endured line-up changes and singer Craig Nicholls' battle with Asperger's syndrome.

But if troubled times are fuel for artists, then The Vines had plenty to burn, racing through past hits such as Get Free and new material from their Vision Valley album.

"Hello Splendour!" Nicholls yelled during the set. "It's great to be here."

The performance was the afternoon entree to last night's main course, which included headline sets by 1970s-inspired rockers Wolfmother and Beach Boys legend Brian Wilson.

The weekend's miserable weather cleared yesterday, but the 17,500 music fans in attendance still had to contend with the notorious Splendour mud baths. Gum boots were a must.

Queensland was well represented at the new G.W. McLennan Theatre – named after the late Go-Betweens member – where Brisbane troubadour Andrew Morris and Chinchilla product Pete Murray played stunning sets.

Festival co-promoter Paul Piticco said the new stage was designed to keep things low-key. There were no plans to go bigger.

Despite the growth since it started in 2001, Splendour has remained one of the country's most relaxed festivals.

"The inspiration for the new stage was something we thought would be a bit quieter where people can sit down," he said. "And we seem to have struck a chord with the general public."
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Beach Boy festival finale a twist after Vines
The Australian
Andrew Fraser
July 24, 2006

A HEAVY downpour just before legendary Beach Boy Brian Wilson took the stage last night did not dampen the ardour of a large crowd at Splendour in the Grass at Byron Bay.
But his slowly moving melodies -- delivered with a large rhythm section and back-up vocalists -- were in stark contrast to the high-tempo shows that ran before him, most notably the Led Zepplinesque Wolfmother.

Possibly because he was in Byron Bay, old favourites such as Surfer Girl went down well. But after the thumping bass and drums of the bands before him -- and a surprise return for rock act The Vines -- some questioned whether he was the right closing act for the two-day festival.

Spirited renditions of California Girls and Good Vibrations -- an appropriate number to close the event -- redeemed him with much of the crowd. The highlight for many came several sets earlier, however, when the mobiles of 10,000 Gen-Yers watching the Vines' first festival gig for several years lit up as the texts went out: they're back.

The Vines were to be the next big thing when they burst on to the scene in the early noughties with a series of explosive shows, but some extravagant and offensive behaviour by frontman Craig Nicholls led to a hiatus for the band three years ago. Nicholls was subsequently diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome and it seemed rock had claimed yet another victim. But the band recently put together a new album, Vision Valley, to indicate they were still around, although until now they have avoided the live shows on which their reputation was built.

Nicholls was an instantly recognisable figure when he came on to the stage yesterday, but despite the crowd adulation it took The Vines a few songs to warm up. After four songs, though, it was as though they flicked a switch and it was back to the rockers of a few years ago, but with new material. And although Nicholls wisely avoided audience repartee past "thanks" and "all right", he still relaxed enough to trash a drum kit at the end of the show.

A deluge early on Saturday morning meant a more apt name for the festival would have been Splendour in the Mud. Gum boots quickly sold out, so plenty of pairs of running shoes saw their final days dancing in the mud of the festival grounds. But this was a good-natured crowd of 17,500, largely aged 25 and under, who stoically endured the mud and slush in pursuit of a good time. There were no violent incidents and the St John Ambulance crews only had a few over-excited youths to comfort.

Earlier yesterday, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Zutons and You Am I kept the energy up on the main stage, while Something for Kate, Grinspoon and New York rockers Sonic Youth did the same on Saturday night.
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Vines Interview from Snoozer magazine
March 2006

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Snoozer206

They came back through the cold winter.
He got to know his disable. Separations from friends from his early days,
or his family. Losing his memories...
The Vines' 3rd album " Vision Valley " shows the experienses of Craig Nicholls, the front man's pain, agony, or sadness so cleary.
But, it also shows their love for music by their power, decisions and talent
by 13 songs so brightly.
How did they reach to their new start line?
--- They talked about their 2years of blank in their own home town, Australia.

March 17th, in Sydney. There is their management office in a quiet town in the east of City area of Sydney. Summer of Sydney is not finished yet, their little back yead gets bright sunshine. I can hear some bards from somewhere far.
Very peaceful and quiet afternoon.
It's been 2years since I visited them when they released their 2nd album
" Winning Days ". Yes, I could come back to Sydney again, wearing my headphone and listening to " Vision Valley ".
Of cource, this is to see the Vines again.

This time, the band limited interviews, not only from Japan, from all over the world.
We were supposed to have a 30minutes interview through the phone with Craig Nicholls acctually. But, once I listen to this new album, it seemed
impossible to know everything about this album in such a short time.
This is not that casual or simple.
Also, they've had so much painful and tough experienses in these 20months.
Some of those experienses would be hard to ask, hard to answer.
So...I wonder if it's possible to talk with them a little longer?

Such an absurd offer got approved a few days ago. And in 30minutes, those three members will show up and we can start the interview.

Before I start it, I think I should exprain about things happened to the band in these years. To do that, using the words from their manager, Andy Kelly's, would be the best way.
" Last week, we got a phone call from Triple M, finally. Said " Let's forget about the past, so, can you send us the song "Don't Listen To The adio "? " That is great! " He laughs.
He's talking about the case that happned at Annandale. May 2005, the band finished Japan tour and got back to Australia and had a show whitch was organized by the radio stasion Triple M. At the show, Craig Nicholls used abusive language to the audiences, and played only a few songs. Patrick Matthews, the bass player, got up here with it and left his bass guiter there and never came back to the stage or the band.
Also, Craig Nicholls got a fight against a photographer there and broke his camera.
This case got brought to the court and the organizer Triple M decleared to not to air their songs for good.

There, Andy is talking these relevances are getting restorationed.
Oh, maybe I should go slower...

This case clarified the fact that is Craig Nicholls is diagnosed Asperger's
Syndrome too. It would be difficult to fixation what Asperger's Syndrome is. If I could say roughly, it is high-functioning autism that has no problems with knowledge or a language. The symptom or obstacle are various, some feel pain to see others' eyes, some dislike to talk over the phone, or being touched is painful, and some only wear the clothes made of specificated materials. Some are so talented at math, music, or art. Yet, a common characteristic is like to have their specificated routeen or
have their own ways to do things, and difficulsy of communication with people in society.

Yes, back in years, Craig was obcessed of having McDonald and Coke, or pod, also he had huge cunfusion when he went to places he didn't know, this maybe one of the answers.
Surely, now we can think of the shows in Japan that was like rainstorms of exposure to the wind...

Andy continues,
" Of course, I feel so sorry about the behave he had during we were in Japan. People in Japan welcomed us so wormly. But unfortunately, he used to act like that wherever we went. (greaf) Culturaly, Japan was the place to get the worst resolt of his behave.
But...Craig can't remember most of those. He regrets everytime he hears what he've done that isn't memorizing. he doen't remember about Jay Leno's TV program, neither the David Letterman's. He doesn't know why he looked like that in their videos " Get Free " or " Ride " if he sees them. He even doesn't remember Homebake!
Most of memories of that period of times are gone from his head. "

After the case, Craig got sued. He had to appear in court as a defendant, he had to use his diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome as a plea. Still the case was going, then this announcement ran through not only the local medias, all over the world.
Because of the demand of knowing why he happened to do like- broke tape recorders of interviewers, stuck in a bath room for 2hours to reject the interview, fell on his face on a floor for a long time...those odd acts.

" He said he felt releafed of knowing it. It's just it got a name on it... Also the fact that is he is defferent than others. Craig himself kept thinking that he is defferent.
But..yeah, he accepted the diagnosis smoothly, more than we thought. "

They cancelled all the shows and they began silence. Of cource, that was for Craig to consentrate on his treatment.

" These 2years, the most important thing for us is that Craig gets better. Honestly, we didn't have any aim as pros, we didn't worry that they can't go touring at all. We just want Craig to be happy again. We want him to do music with that in mind. That was our subject for these 2years. That was like we had to fall into a bottom to clime up again, I think. In fact, once he got worst when he got diagnosed before he got better. "

The album " Vision Valley " shows us those his emotional scars.

" Tell where I'm going to Got nothing I wanna lose
Round and round and back again Grin upon my fucking head "

They got togather to be a band and toured around the world, wished to throw themselves into the music enthusiasm, and almost to reach their dream...but got back to the place they used to be. With losing the things they piled it up so hard.
The lyrics of " Nothin's Comin " seem like he spit on his own words he scribbled.

Sings like " Take me back to the weather " , in the song " Take Me Back " which is mellow and accoustic, sounds like he thinks they became a band of the past, got kicked out from the most exiting place/scene and forgotten. I can see such loneliness and sense of defeat from the song.
And the first song of the album, " Anysound "...they twist themselves compair some threadbare vines. And wispers like

" Time hangin' around Been getting' me down now baby yeah
Show me any sound Kill me now I'm dead "

Yes, this line sais an important thing, such as their ache to grab music into their own hands again.
The Vines are slowly starting again with one hope, and " Vision Valley " came out.

" It was really a slow prosess. "
Andy thinks back.

" At that time, the only thing we did was just keep cheering him up, I think. Like, keep asking him " Did you write any new? " or " What are you doing now?" , we kept talking to him like that and visiting him in his home...
The funny thing is, he kept carring his DAT tape in his pocket.(laughs) But first, if we asked " What's that? Anything in it? Can I listen? " but he always was like " Well...I don't know..."
So one day, I and my partner went to his home, sat, and given a headphone.
We used the headphone in turn and listened to a couple of songs.(laughs)
That was a start in some way. And then we kept talking about songs to Craig then he started to say " I really want to make this album. " also " I wanna make it a very direct and the best album we've ever made. "

And then...went through those unexpected blanks, the Vines's 3rd album " Vision Valley " got born. According to Craig, the art work of just one tear going down in nothing but black means " Not to bother the images of listeners have. " .
But there might be no other way for him, being shutted down from his own place, music, for 2years, also almost it was getting away from his hands.

In this album, it is only 31minutes for 13songs. Any soing in this album is more direct and powerful than ever. Of cource, this is the resolt of his special feature that is he takes it to write music of a stand for two minutes when he overflowed with straightforward to a hook was fully shown.
The meaning of the lyrics towards introspection, although most of the melody they play sound is sharp and light. Because it's simple, the points of songs are clear, nothing to waste.
Phychedelia like gentle sunlights from " Don't Listen To The Radio " , " Candy Daze ", fantasical, deep releaf and loneliness from " Vision Valley " , " Going Gone " has something like stillness of all after having finished shedding tears.
And, cut the darkness with the rock tunes, " Dope Train " , " F*K YEH ", " Gross Out ".
The longest song of the band, phycedelic symphony " Space Ship ".
All those songs are nothing but just the Vines.

I remembered... 4years ago, he said " I'll keep making great albums.
Because our music have to be called by our own band's name, not by any other bands' names! "
It was at the first interview, he said so and he seemed he was full of expect and excitement.

Alright, the time has come.
The one arrived on time was Hamish. His huge body and smile are the same...just when I looked his legs, he has some plasctic appliance on his left knee, he said he got injured when he was surfing. Chatting with Hamish and Andy and waiting for the other two. About 20minutes later, the door opened quietly. Craig greeting " Hi " behind Ryan. His hair got grown, and to be honest, he got some weight. But his habit that he looks down when he laughs doesn't change.
" I still have all the Snoozer magazines I got. "
I had some interviews with Craig, but this is my first time to have an interview with all three. Because Craig never allow others to talk about his own music.
But this time, as a condition in response to interview, he hoped for Hamish and Ryan attendance. As a fact, he still have difficulsy to keep convasations smoothly.
Bidirectional conversation for a long time is not an easy job for him.
When it comes to music, he used to talk surprisingly eagerly, so as to be
sometimes disgusted. If I could compair, he talks much less and words became broken, too.
But Ryan and Hamish watch him well at both sides. During this interview, Craig sometimes got lost at word and asked for helps. This shows that they're changing as a band through this " Vision Valley " too.
Yes, they're taking their time yet they added new page to adventure record of themselves.
And the future of the Vines is full of possibility.

Interviewer: I'm really glad to see you guys again.
Hamish: (laughs) Exellent!
I: Also, thank you for giving me this oppotunity to talk to you.
H: Yeah, this is our favorite magazine.

I: Thank you. Well, where should we start? Maybe I should start with my impression of the album.
Craig: Okay.

I: I thought this " Vision Valley " is the most beautiful and sad album.
C: Hm...yeah, I think I have to agree. There must be sadness, yea. (laughs)
H: I'm glad that you thought this is the best. I think this is the best album of us, too.
I think this is so powerful, has no weak songs.
Ryan: I think every song is happy inside.
H: But those our first two albums have some melancholia. A little bit. Can't we say so? Everything isn't sunshine. (laughs)
C: Hahaha

I: Yeah, both of " Highly Evolved " and " Winning Days " have dark and melancholy emotionals. But most of those were frastlation, anger, or irritation, I think. But this album has pain or sadness there far ahead.
C: Yeah, well, I think I was sad. Right...I don't know what to say though.(laughs)

I: Okay then, I'll go slower. When did Craig start to write songs for this album?
C: In the year of 2004. Maybe when the latter half of 2004 began and at the beggining of 2005...
H: (his cell phone rings) Oh, Sorry.
R: (laughs) Heey
C: Hahahaha
H: It goes like this everytime when my phone rings.(laughs) Sorry, continue!
C: ...I lost concentration. Hm...I wrote songs from 2004 to 2005.

I: You kept writing slowly?
C: No, I don't think so. I could finish quickly. Most of the songs became form almost at the same time. So...I think it was quick.
H: We got to listen to many new songs suddenly and it was like " Wow great songs! " Besides, if Craig was hiding them then it'll be defferent though. (laughs)
C: Hm no.

I: During that, what you two were doing?
H: We both went to Craig's home often at the end of 2004, and were making demos. We did 6 or 7 songs at that time?
C: Yeah.
R: During that, I think we were just taking some off...since the last time we played. Well, I can say we were waiting. But it wasn't like waiting for songs made, it was like waiting for getting ready. Or waiting for being able to focus again.

I: Which song got form first? Do you remember?
C: Well.....
H: " Take Me Back " ?
C: Yeah, " Take Me Back " was the fist. We made a demo of this song and thought it was good. It was...8trucks at that time. Yeah, I think that was it.
H: " Nothin's Coming " is almost the same time, when started making demos.
R: And " Dope Train " too.
C: Yeah, " Nothin's Coming " and " Dope Train " too.

I: My imagining of " Take Me Back " is like simple reflection of your feels of when you got exhosted by touring around all of the world, then you feel to wish to go back to your own place or hometown...
C: Yeah, maybe...that's a good explanation I think. Maybe. I don't know what I wrote about though...hm...that maybe about that.

I: Are still there that you can't objectificate what you were supposed to write about?
C: Yeah, I guess so. There are many abstract lyrics. .....Yeah, sometimes, I don't know what I'm saying. (laughs) But the ideas for songs don't have to be real. They're more common ideas..

I: You're right. But in fact, many of fans listen to this album and imagine that you maybe sufferd by those accidents you've experienced after the " Winning Days ", I guess. What do you think about it? Do you feel any sense of incongruity from that fans might joins together the stories that you exaggerated or emotions and your personal events directly?
C: No, I don't think so. I don't care how people accept the songs. Because...I can't control such things. I write songs from my personal experience, but some of the songs are just made up stories. Also, there are many abstract things, too. So that maybe okay.

I: How did you two feel? Honestly, by how to catch those, there must be too directly songs, I think.
H: Of cource, I thought it is so personal. The two songs I linstened to first were " Take Me Back " and " Nothin's Comin" and...they have a little sadness inside. I thought " Nothin's Comin " has pains, too. Well, I felt so for those two.
R: I can't explain well, but sometimes abstract songs can make more sence. Songs like Craig even doesn't get. (laughs) Because he writes them more under unconsciousness. And if you thinking about lyrics when you listen, it makes sence more and more, like that. And at the same time, you can feel more personally.

I: Craig said before, " I can get through the difficulty by making it allegorization to song writings." Does it suit to this album too?
C: Yeah, I guess. I still have those kind of imagination on my songs. ...Like sound of dreams or like that.

I: Are there any experiences that you wrote music when you really faced some difficulty?
C: Hm, yeah. Like I can get it out by a good method. This is the good way to expression of myself. Through the songs,..lyrics, sound, or merody or something.

I: I felt the storong sense that was refused or betrayed in the whole album by somewhere, something by many of the songs of this album- like " Don't Listen To The Radio ", " Nothin's Coming'", " Take Me Back ". If it is true, yourself is refused in what and it is hurt and what does think that it was driven in?
C: No...I don't know. I'm just...so...I think I felt I was alone. So...confusion. I guess that it was.

I: For example, do you have any thoughts of medias that let their manners change suddenly from a certain moment or fans left you?
C: No, I don't think so.
H: The word " betray " is too strong. Because...I know medias were so favorable for us in 2002, and wrote many acticles about us. And they did turn their back, especially the British medias. But that is how it's going to be. Tabrolds play it up exaggeratedly and make things huge stories. No matter what it is, they have to make it exciting.
C: (wears Hamish's sunglasses)
H: ...That's nice.(laughs)
C: (giggles)

I: Well then, do you think the sadness or anger in this album are not toward to the world, they are toward to yourself?
C: Yeah...I guess so...right.(laughs) Hmm no, maybe...they're toward to the situation I have, you know.

I: Can you explain about it a little more?
C: Well...maybe I was isolated. But it was like...it's not like somebody else put me in the situation. Yeah, I put myself in the situation, I guess. Well, I was okay about it though. (laughs)

I: But it is the most painful thing, you don't blame anybody else but yourself, I think.
C: Yeah...I blame myself.

I: This is tough to ask you this, but I think Japanese fans wanna know this so I'm gonna ask you. Do you remember about the Japan tour 2years ago?
R: Yes.
H: I remember that.

I: Maybe, that was the most confusing time for Craig, the band, and fans.
C: Yeah...I wanna apologize them.

I: No, you don't have to apologize.
C: .....Alright, okay. (laughs)
H: (laughs)
C: To tell you the truth, I really don't remember about it. I know that was the most stressful time though, but that's it.

I: Yeah, of course, there must be some fans that got hurt. Although they've waited for you. And you guys made a new album and came back with it. That's the most important thing, I think.
C: Yeah...yeah...
H: Did we make it up?
I: Yes, by the best way than anything.
C: ...Thank you.(laughs)

I: Well then, since you guys started the band the Vines, or decided to do music, what dreams came true by going through those 3 albums? Do you think that you were able to achieve the thing which aimed once?
C: Yes, I guess so. I just wanted to make good albums, and I think those 3 albums are good.(laughs) So I think I achieved that I wished to do. We wanted to play music.

I: Do you still have anything you haven't achieved yet?
C: Well...I don't know...well..
H: We haven't played at Fuji Rock Festival yet.
C: Right. (laughs) We haven't done it yet. But...nope...we achieved so many things, more than I thought. And, I just wanna keep doing it, you know.
H: I wished to be in a band, tour, and record some albums. Everything happened at the same time in the Vines. Most of the ambitions that I had were achieved at the same time as joining the band. So maybe, I should make higher goals now, like play at some studiums or partying in the back stage or something.
C: Ahaha

I: Do you think you had something that you had to giveup?
C: I don't know...I don't think so.
R: I don't think we did, either.

I: For example, you sings like " Nothing's gonna change " in the song " Nothin's Comin' ". What did you giveup there?
C: Um...I don't know. Maybe I was feeling so negative when I wrote the song. I thought like " Am I gonna stay like this? " or I didn't know what I was going to do. This was the first song I wrote. So...I was...hmm...(sees Hamish) Help me.
H: (towards to Craig) About " Nothin's Comin'" ? Where did the song come from?
C: Yeah, that... Well...that was " nowhere ". The song is about it. I was just...sad. I can't explain well, but I didn't have hopes or future, I was no future.(laughs)
H: Like you can't see anything in the future?
C: No, yeah, nothing. So that is " Nothin's " .
R: It's just like the moment.
C: Yeah.

I: Speaking of " future ", where did the ideas of " Futuretarded ", such as future when development has stopped or the future without progress, come from?
C: That song is just about the technology. The song is about future also the past, I guess. And...it sounds so old for me. Just the sound. Well, it doesn't sound futuristic.
H: A little bit more tribal, huh.
C: Yeah, it's tribal.
H: We are tribes but we have electronic guiters!!! HAHAHAHA!!!
C: (giggles) He is funny,huh. (keeps laughing) Hey, Hamish is really funny. He sais that we are tribes with electronic guiters.
H: We are the tribes of how many centuries? (laughs) We have to have plugs.
C: (can't stop laughing)

I: It's about the future, it's about the past...does that mean it's not about current?
C: No, not now. Well...but it might be a bit about now. Like the first line or something. Yeah. And...the title of the song sais a lot, I guess. " Futuretarded " is about people, like what was it like when the human began, or something like that. When we were still the tribes. (laughs) Also...as technology increases, people sarted isolation. To survive.
Those kind of things are the main theme.

I: Do you mean some more original way of life or something? Like they should be should be instinctive?
C: Yeah, I guess so. Like, they should be more...collected as a group. They should better to do that. Well, that's just my idea though. (laughs) Because...I don't think they would be. They would be more indoors, and electric appliances or machines would do things instead of people.

I: Is it like the same as people seem communicate each others through the internet but it isolates a person essentially?
C: Yeah yeah. But I really didn't think that much deep. This is just an idea. Like cell phones or computers...something like those. I'm not bashing those, I maybe just a little cunfused about those. So I'm just saying what I feel. Well, everything used to be so natural at first, but nowadays, nothing is natural.
R: Yeah.
C: Like who can survive if electricity and fuel are shutted down, because I don't know how to raise plants, or how to make food either. People used to know those and lived together back in time. But they don't now, so they'd get cunfused.

I: If we think back, " Highly Evolved " was like declearing to get out from where you were no matter what. And then, " Winning Days " was like the admiration to the new world and hatred, or torn up by love to the hometown that you had left and sorrow.
Meaning, we can say the theme of your songs can be the place you were supposed to be, or finding your home. Is such sence is still going in this " Vision Valley "?
C: Ahh...that's a very good question. But how can I answer i t...Maybe........... there is no home.
I: You think so?
C: (towards to Hamish) Hey, help me.
H: (laughs) Hm, anyway, is it like " I'd better stay here " ?
C: Yeah, right. You're right. There is home. Yea...there is! Because there's no place like home!!! (laughs)

I: How about the lyrics of " Space Ship " then? The song can be accepted as saying goodbye to your home that you used to live, or your family, right?
C: Yeah, like I'm gonna getin the space ship and leave home. But this is just a fairlytale like I said before in a way. Or, for a real meaning, I might saying " I'm about to leave home. " . That might be sad. In fact, this song sounds sad... Yeah, maybe so. But this is just a story, really. No matter if I was feeling like that way, I made the story bigger for the song.

I: Okay. Then in that story, where the space ship is headed to when the chief character got in?
H: Space, I guess. (laugh)
C: Hahaha, well, hmm...Blisstania. Where the " further supreme bliss " is. It's from the Simpsons, there it this cult that they believe they can ride the space ship and go to Blisstania...wait, this is a horrable joke.(laughs) Sorry, forget about it. Well, the space ship is.....ahh...I didn't think about it that much. It just takes me out and nothing further, that was it. Could be some another planet. Yeah, maybe.
Like Hamish said, it maybe space basically. Not Blisstania.(laughs) That was just a madeup of the TV program.

I: Before the " Space Ship " , " Atmos " can let you imagine space. Like your consciousness goes to the place that is not the earth.
C: Yeah, I'm not sure it was on purpose or not though. But this is defenately a spacy song. I think so too.
H: Like escapism?
C: Yeah yeah, that's it! Escapism. Going as far as possible from here to a far-off place. This song sounds like flying in space.

I: Do you think you can say there always is the escapism as an important element in the Vines' music? In those two first two albums and this album, too?
C: Yeah, I think so. In this album, those last two songs make it clearer, but the must be the escapism all over the album.

I: Also, " Atmos " is a love song, right?
C: Yeah, I think so.
I: Craig was not so interested to write love songs till now, huh.
C: Nuh...but we might still have some love songs somehow. " Mary Jane " is one, I guess.
I: Right.
C: Yeah...but, " Atmos " seems really a straight love song.
I: It seems like you confess about your love, you apologize, and hope to be forgiven.
C: Yea, right. That is...a very good interpretation. Totally, I think so too.
I: Is that like you are afraid if you hurt her?
C: ...I don't know, I don't know about it.

I: Not only about this song, have you recalled that if you've hurt someones or not?
C: Let's see... But I guess making music doesn't hurt anyone. Because music is supposed to make people happy. I don't wanna hurt anyone, I just wanna let my feelings go.
I: Music never hurt people?
C: Hmm...yeah, I know some people get hurt by it...yes...uh..no.(laugh)
R: Of course, music sometimes make people sad somehow. There are happy songs, and there also are sad songs.
C: But nobody gets hurt. Nobody. ...I don't want anyone to get hurt. Really. I'm not supposed to hurt anyone. It's just music, that's all.

I: Well then, which song is full of hopes the most in this album?
C: " Candy Daze ", I guess.
R: Yeah, defenetely.
I: This is a very strange song, very abstract.
C: Yeah, it's supposed to be a happy song.
I: What is candy daze? I imagined that is like some warm place, the sun, or just a something vague.
C: Yes, it was just a ward that was in my head though.(laughs) It came out so naturally when I was playing my guiter. And then I thought it was very simple and up-lifting. So I liked it.

I: This album contains 13songs, which is the most fairlytaling song?
C: Well..." Space Ship " would be. And " Vision Valley ", too.
I: Yeah, scenery and a story to draw of that song are very fantastic. What are those inspired by?
C: Well...just being alone, I guess. I think the song is made in some simple way in the afternoon when the sun was going to set.

I: On the other hand, which song is reflented yourself or autobiography-like the most?
C: Hmm...that would be " Vision Valley " , too. Or " Anysound " . But all of the album ...no, half of the album might be autobiography-like, a half of it, at least.

I: Could you tell me a little about " Going Gone " ? Once Kurt Cobain made the actress Frances Furmer a motif of a song. Like he did, this cheaf character Anna is modeled by someone?
C: This is just a character I made.
I: Okay, but this is a very meserable character, huh.
C: Yes, defenetely.
I: In this song, she left a note that said like there was nothing to waste. What kind of images is this come from?
C: I was thinking...I'm not sure though, it was just like a poem. Leaving a note in a bed room...just seems meserable. Like you said. So, I didn't think well what exactly was written when I wrote this. It could be something symbolic. Yeah, it should be. I guess something very important was written in the note.
I: Yeah.
C: ...I don't know any further.

I: (laughs) Okay, then I should go with some lighter questions now. What was the funnest thing you had during the recording?
R: Hamish. Generally. (laughs)
C: Hahahaha
H: The funny things was, Craig started a game. It's called " Ulah! ". (laughs) He waited someones coming hiding behind a curtain or a door. Then he jumped at the person who came.
We have our asistant at the studio, Fay, and Craig hid behind a curtain. Then we said like " Fay! Our head phones don't work, comeover here and check them! " ...of course, we didn't have the such trouble.(laughs) And Craig surprised Fay so badly. It was childish, but so funny.

I: Haha. Then, what was the hardest thing? What did you have your biggest effort for?
C: That would be when I got a cold when we had to record my vocaling. Yeah, that was like the ultimate trouble.
R: Besides that, we went so smoothly. Other than one week when he caught cold, that was just an easy session.
H: We had some typical arguments as a band for sure. Wayne kept saing that we had too much reverve on the vocal, but Craig said " This is just fine, more reverve!" (laughs)
C: The images for the album I had were more reverve. (laughs)
H: You know that, don't you? Craig's favorite is " Don't Listen To The Radio ", and we got the pretty good resolt, I think. Wayne wanted to do it more basic, but it's not the Vines' style. We want to put so many kinds of musical instruments or more reverve in our music.
R: Well, about the reverve, that was just one of the millions of subjects we had.
C: Or, delay.(laughs)
I: (laughs)
H: For example, " Space Ship " has some crazy mandolin and it sounds like keyboard, you know. The song has more strange sounds. And we used strings for " Vision Valley " and " Going Gone " for the first time, too.
I: Right, this was your first time to use it in all.
C: Yeah, I wished to challenge to use it from before. I think it matched the song, too.
H: We play as a simple band at concerts, but in studio, we don't approach some garage bands-like. We're more refined or something. We put more vocaling, more harmonies...
C: Yeah, we getout from a garage and go to a studio. (laughs)

I: How about the each playablity? What did you think you wanted to upgrate?
H: When we started to make demos, Craig said " I want to make this album heavier. ", remember? In fact, it did become heavier, I think. Like it became more rock album in a way. But I wanted to do drum solo this time, Craig didn't let me.
R: (laughs) Well, we always argue about his drum solo.
C: Hahaha
H: Well, it's not like I wanna set up my musician ship... In fact, if you get close to jazz or fusion music- especially for drummers, the egos are apt to be bared. But it's not like that, just listen to produsers and go simple without repeating. It would be the best way most of times. Don't make it complicated, let's just do things that make songs better.
R: That's the same about the guiters. They're very simple in fact. They're just going around the merody, or like that. So about the guiters...yeah, I just wanted them to sound sonic. I didn't think about them particularly and deeply, it was clear that how they should sound. Just go along with the way of our rehearsals.

I: How about you, Craig?
C: I just wanted the songs to be good. And I might wanted to make songs shorter and more simple. I don't know how to describe, but I wanted the songs that can get a point immediately. I didn't mean to not to make them longer, or make them shorter either.
They just became so. And mostly, I like songs 2minutes, not 5minutes. That's the way we can go good. Most of the times, we already have some very simple ideas and don't take much time to tell about those.

I: The such sense may have returned in those days of " Get Free ".
C: Yes, I think so. We're getting back to the days with the simple songs. We tried so many ideas in " Winning Days ". Of course, we tried some in this album too, but we just thought " It's better to be simple anyway ". (laughs)

I: Is that something you've learned from the last album(Winning Days)?
C: We just got more experiences,that's all.
R: We didn't have any pressure this time. Like it was just really casual approch.
C: Yea I felt so too. Actually, I didn't feel so much pressure in the last album, I thought it was good to make an album. And I don't feel pressure when I make albums anyways. Just focusing on what I do.

I: Then, did you listen to any other records/CDs?
C: Well, what did I listen to? The White Stripes, the Strokes, and I think I listened to the new stuff of Richard Ashcroft a lot.
R: How about Franz Ferdinand?
C: Yeah, we listened to them too. And Greham Coxon...
I: The latest one? " Love Travels At Illegal Speeds "?
C: Yeah yeah, that's it.
H: I haven't listened to the other ones.
C: This is so great. " Happiness In Magazines " was great too though, both of them are so great, can't compair.

I: Oh, Arctic Monkeys said that they got inspired by seeing the shows if the Vines.
C: Yeah, I don't know so well, but I heared that they're sayng something good about us. Like the Vines inspired them a little. Of course, I wouldn't say we made Arctic Monkeys though. (laughs) But really, if we inspired them, I'm so honored. In fact, I think they are a great band.
I: Have you listened to their album yet?
C: Yes, I thought it was great.
H: That's an great album. What if they let us open for them? Or opposite way is good though.(laugh)
I: Of course, you have to let them open for you! (laughs)
H: That's a great point! Yes, they play open for the Vines.(laughs)

I: Do you think positively about giving shows?
H: We're gonna give shows sometime. I hope to do this year, but I can't promise. I don't wanna dissapoint our fans.
I: Yeah right... Craig, you wanna play shows too?
C: Yes of course. I look forward to play.
I: 2years are long..
C: Yeah, can't help missing.(laughs) They(shows) should be different than before. I'm thinking I wanna make them more controlled.

I: Hahaha, that's opposite than they used to be! The greatest things of playing shows is that they're impossible of control, you said!
C: Yeah, we're changing at the point.(laughs)
H: That's the the Vines of the past. But you still wanna make them exciting, don't you?
C: Of course, they have to be exciting. But now we can play more songs, I wanna perform better.
R: In fact, our performance got the best than ever.
C: Yeah, playing new songs must be great.

I: Are there any old songs that have distance has appeared with present yourselves?
H: That might be " Ms.Jackson ", that cover song.
C: What? You don't wanna play the song?
H: Well, we can play some another cover.
C: Hmm...well...
H: Do you have any songs you wanna play?
C: No, nothing. Because if we think about it, we already have so many songs.
H: We can make prerry good set lists, huh?
I: Yeah, exciting.(laughs)
C: (thinking for a while).....But we're gonna play " Ms.Jackson ".
H: (bitter laugh)
C: We will play it!!! I bet Hamish will assent. Because " Ms.Jackson " is a really good song.
H: That is a good song, but I think we got through the song.
C: Then we can play both of " Ms.Jackson " and any song Hamish wanna play! Nothing comes up in mind that I wanna play, but we will play " Ms.Jackson ".
I: Ahahahaha
C: We WILL play it!!!

That was everything we talked about in 2hours. And like they said, nothing announced that how they're gonna act now. For playing shows, they have to start with finding a new bass player. But nothing to rush about. They started moving on again with releasing this new album. Yes, they still have so much time. They can walk slowly, and surely. In there, " Vision Valley " will be memorized as new shining work.

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Craigsnoozernew1

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Snoozer306

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Snoozer106

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Snoozer406
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:36 pm

NME
August 26, 2006

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Nmeaug06
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:37 pm

The Vines

Bernard Zuel
September 6, 2006

Craig Nicholls has reduced his vices to a bare minimum.

The man who was famous for prodigious ingestion of dope, a diet seemingly consisting of junk food and the kind of stage behaviour with the Vines which earns you a reputation as mad, bad and dangerous to know, now has one weakness. He chain-smokes these long, thin cigarettes - called, with stunning inappropriateness, Vogue - holding them delicately between his middle fingers.

"[The slimness] is why I smoke them," Nicholls says semi-facetiously. "I'm trying to cut down and I thought I'd give up regular ones for these and stop later."

Non-stop smoking aside, in an upstairs room at the Enmore offices of their management company (where eight pointy ARIA awards line a mantelpiece and various manager-of-the-year awards dot the walls) Nicholls, guitarist Ryan Griffiths and drummer Hamish Rosser are about as relaxed as anyone could reasonably hope to be a few hours before their first official home-town show in several years. (They played a "secret" warm-up show under an alias a month ago.)

The band, which in 2002 went from playing tiny Sydney pubs to being on the cover of American Rolling Stone as the face of "new rock" only to virtually implode one album later, looked dead and buried this time last year.

As Rosser says: "Even friends of mine thought we had broken up and I had to keep reassuring them there is another Vines album coming."

That album, their third, called Vision Valley, emerged in April after Nicholls was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome (a mild form of autism), which was exacerbated by the pressures of touring and media calls. The band's management decided the only way to handle this was to keep everything smaller and more manageable. There would be hardly any interviews, few shows and much lower expectations.

"We did go to a lot of effort to let people know not to expect gigs from us, because massive amounts of touring were not good for us," Rosser explains.

But now, having just returned from a quick visit to Britain, where they played a small gig in London then a set at the massive Reading Festival in Leeds, the Vines have three shows this week at the relatively small Annandale Hotel.

"If we didn't want to do it, we wouldn't do it," says Nicholls, who seems relaxed and chatty behind his veil of lank hair. "In a way we are starting again, step by step. Now we're very conscious of making small steps, keeping the shows wider apart, and we get really excited about each show, which is better than being real chaotic, for me to scream and throw things around to make it exciting for myself."

So was he expecting an audience of people wondering when they would see "the mad bit"?

"It's happening right now but I'm trying to control myself," Nicholls says, grinning and provoking laughter from his bandmates. "But I'm not really a weirdo. I'd like to think that."

From The Australian:

Winning Days for Evolved Vines
By Ian Shedden
September 6, 2006

IPB Image

HAIR flailing, guitar flying and screaming F..k the world like he means it, Craig Nicholls is a man possessed.

What's more, he seems to be enjoying it. So too, it appears, are the 400 people at last night's gig at Sydney's Annandale Hotel.
Things didn't go this well the last time the Vines played the main stage of the Annandale.

Nicholls had an altercation with a photographer, bassist Patrick Matthews left the stage early, never to return, and many predicted a premature end to Australia's most successful and volatile rock 'n' roll export of the early noughties.

That was in November 2004. It didn't help that Nicholls was diagnosed soon after with Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism that makes social situations difficult to handle. The Sydney band's winning days, to use the title of their second album, seemed over.

It didn't look that way last night, though, as Nicholls and his three bandmates, including recent addition Brad Heald on bass, bombarded a sellout crowd at the Annandale with material from 2002's internationally successful debut album Highly Evolved, from Winning Days (the 2004 album that includes F..k the world) and from this year's surprise comeback album, Vision Valley.

The show was a reminder that the Vines - and Nicholls - still have something to say about the future of Australian rock 'n' roll.

Last night's performance confirmed Nicholls's staying power as an engaging front man and flew in the face of his reputation of someone who ostracises his audience.

Nicholls is trying his best to counter his illness, which many people, including the band's management company, believed might end the Vines' touring career.

This week they are playing a string of small dates in Sydney and Melbourne, following their lauded, unannounced appearance at the Splendour in the Grass festival in Byron Bay, in northeastern NSW, in July.

"We thought it would be nice to go back to the Annandale," Nicholls told The Australian before the show. "We wanted to come back starting at smaller venues."

The band has just completed shows in Britain and drummer Hamish Rosser said there were also plans for the group to play overseas later this year.

Nicholls, meanwhile, is busy writing songs for the next album, which he predicts will be ready for release next year. Health wise, he said, he was "feeling great".

* The Vines play the Annandale tomorrow and Friday and the Corner in Melbourne on Saturday and Sunday.

From the Daily Telegraph:

Vines Climb Back

Kathy McCabe
September 06, 2006

IPB Image IPB Image

THE Vines last night showed once and for all they are back as one of Australia's most dynamic rock outfits.

Fresh from rave reviews for their set at prestigious British festivals in recent weeks, Craig Nicholls and his bandmates played the first of three sold-out shows at the nursery of rock'n'roll, the Annandale Hotel.

It was at the Annandale Hotel when Nicholls suffered a breakdown and the band imploded in May 2004. Nicholls, who had charges of assault and malacious damage dropped, was diagnosed with a mild form of autism, Asperger's Syndrome.

But he brought The Vines back to the venue last night - the band played a warm-up gig under the name Joe Dirt in July - and left the stage a rock star.

Nicholls was affable from the outset telling the adoring capacity crowd how great it was to be back performing in Sydney.

The band released their third album Vision Valley in April this year but were unable to support its release due to the frontman's condition.

The Vines will schedule future shows in coming months according to Nicholls' ability to maintain the demands of live performance.

Watching from the wings was former bass player Patrick Matthews and members of Dallas Crane and The Mess Hall.
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:38 pm

The Vines
Beat Magazine (Melbourne Street zine)
Jaymz Clements sits down to shoot the shit with the three Vines
September 2006

In terms of Australian music, it's harder to find a bad more continuously polarising of opinion, more fantastically sensationalised in their reputation, than The Vines. From their incredibly succesful debut Highly Evolved, that saw them popular overseas before anyone in Australia knew anything of them, to frontman Craig Nicholls' well documented onstage breakdown in Sydney and his subsequent diagnosis as having Aspergers Sydrome, they're known their share of highs and lows.

With the release of their career defining third record, the wonderfully 'fuck you' Vision Valley, they managed to take people by surprise. After the criminally lukewarm reception to Highly Evolved sucessor, Winning Days, few expected a third Vines album, especially after Nicholls' public meltdown. But with the recognition of his medical problem, Nicholls quit smoking weed, stopped eating junkfood and found himself in fine songwriting form - even if the idea of touring as The Vines again was remote, he found himself wanting to record music again, and the result is some of their best work to date.

Its because of the success following Vision Valley that The Vines decided to tentatively rejoin the live circuit; first with a slot as a secret act at Splendour in The Grass and then hitting the mid-sized venues along the East Coast, which promptly sold out. It's safe in the knowledge that people are willing to give them another chance that the band have decamped to their manager's house where they've grabbed a couple of beers, settling down raucously on a couch to chat.

Nicholls is in fine form. Living up to his reputation as a somewhat difficult media subject, there are touches of baiting and sarcasm flies thickly from each side, whilst drummer Hamish Rosser and guitarist Ryan Griffiths laugh and try to find a healthy middle ground of actual answers. The most interesting facet of Nicholls' responses is his curiously affected stoner So-Cal via North Hampshire via British Columbia accent as he tries his uttermost to not give a strait-faced reply, when asked about getting back on stage.

"It's off the chain" he cackles. "Yeah, yeah we're stoked to be back. It was really cool to do Splendour for one of our first whos back; it was a lot better than we could have hoped really." he laughs, with Rosser and Griffiths in chorus. "We're definately not scared though," he drawls slowly in response to a query about fears letting of letting loose on stage, his elongated vowels prompting snorts of laughter from the others.

"With the tour and everything, we're now more looking forward to getting out there again, and playing the new songs - we want to play them loud! And at the same time, we're fresh, recharged."

"We've been dying to go play gigs" adds the gruff voiced Rosser, "we just didn't have a regular bass player (Nicholls' childhood friend and co-founder of the Vines Patrick Matthews walked off the stage at the Annandale when Nichols kicked a photographer, and never returned). "We've used Andy Kent (You Am I) for a couple of TV shows but he obviously couldn't be out full time guy, so we've got a new bass player and now we're back and finally doing it."

Helpfully, Nicholls adds, "Not playing, feels not so great." There's some vaguely hysterical laughter. "Playing, on the other hand, does feel great."

Nicholls then riffs on the idea of cliches when talking about moving on from the troubles of the last two years, saying "it's going to feel great. Yeah, um, we're just going to go and get up there on stage, play our songs and hopefully it all goes well. We're feeling pretty confident and we've just got to try to put the ball over the hoop as many times as we can. Give it 110%, you know?" And he says he's kicked the weed. Cue more hysterical laughter.

Obviously the output of The Vines basically hinges on Nicholls' state of mind at any given moment, and paramount to that is the fact he's gven ganja the boot. It's meant a lot of unnecessary attention has been foisted onto a band that's had to deal with elitist backlash from the word go. Firstly the UK popularity versus a non-existent Australian profile, then the hate directed at the second album, but for all that they've kind of come out on top.

"I think we've dealt with it pretty well, seeing as though we planned it all," Nicholls laughs sarcastically, with an echo from his band mates. "Nah, it's kinda funny how we've gone from being like a music story to a news story. Hopefully we can get back into being more of a music sort of story."

"Yeah it was weird - people started writing about our behaviour and we never wanted that; we wanted them to write about our hair," quips Griffiths, setting the other two off. And they say they've only had a couple of beers. Fark.

But when Nicholls quietly adds "We kinda lost our minds for a while, me in particular. Umm, there was some crazy stuff," you actually feel for this guy who's been thrust into one of the most extreme and isolating situations society can throw at you - that of a young rockstar. "So we took some time off, reassessed and revaluated, and thought "we're gonna get back on stage, but in about two years - that should be enough time off."

And how' it going? "Pretty good, I've been off the wagon. That means I've stopped smoking," He giggles. "for about a year and a half, at least that long. And umm, it's changed my life because I'm not crazy any more." His voice is plaintive and surpursingly childlike as he says this, before finishing quietly "I'm more focused on the band now - not that I wan't before, but I can get things done better. "

"There's definitely a huge improvement, you know?" adds Griffiths. "He's put it all together and that's why we're going back out and touring. It's all good now, which is a relief for us, and it means we get to keep this band rolling."

The Vines play the Corner on Saturday Spetember 9 and Sunday September 10. Vision Valley is out now through EMI.

Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Twelvemajorchords Exclusive Interview with Craig Nicholls
Interview by Angus Truskett.
Photography by Maria Papoutsis.
12/09/2006 11:07
http://www.twelvemajorchords.com/2006/09/1...craig-nicholls/

IPB Image

— 12 Major Questions Deluxe with Craig Nicholls

Walking past the excited line of Vines’ fans twisting around the corner of the Annandale Hotel, I have no idea that the following interview is going to take place. This was the third and final night of sold out shows at the famous venue, which has almost been acting as a ‘home base’ for the band since they relaunched their status as a touring act.

It had been arranged earlier that the interview would be with Hamish Rosser, the long time drummer for the group. But when I meet the tour manager, Sean, I am told that Rosser isn’t on the premises yet, as it is his girlfriend’s birthday and they are still out dining. I was actually pretty relieved to hear this, and was more than happy to wait around a little longer to go over the prepared questions for Hamish, as well as shake off any last minute ‘interview jitters’ that might have set in.

No more than five minutes pass and Sean heads back into the room and approaches me again. He tells me that Rosser hasn’t yet returned, but that Craig Nicholls is upstairs in one of the dressing rooms and happy to go ahead with a short interview. Though I was really looking forward to having a chat with Hamish, I automatically accepted the offer and slipped the piece of paper with the prepared questions back into my bag, knowing that the opportunity to speak with Craig is nothing short of rare.

Before I can even begin to get my head around what is about to happen, I am being taken backstage past the hotel’s kitchen and am walking up the stairs that lead to the to the band area. I try to formulate a very rough series of new questions for Nicholls in my head, but before I know it we turn and enter a small room with no more than two couches and a table.

Nicholls, who is lying back on one of the couches sits forward upon us entering and politely greets us. While we shake hands I explain to him that this was completely unplanned and apologise for the extremely short notice, and he seems quite happy to go ahead with the interview.

I take a seat next to on the couch next to Nicholls and quickly hit ‘record’ on the dictaphone as we begin talking about his band’s return to the spotlight…

12MC: How did it feel to be able play back at the Annandale Hotel with The Vines again?

I thought it was great, I really enjoyed it. I think Thursday’s (show) was a little bit better. We’re gaining more confidence so we feel as the shows keep getting better and better.

12MC: What’s it like being in The Vines now in 2006, compared to two or three years ago?

It’s a lot more exciting now because we have time off. I mean it was exciting in 2003 – we did an album. 2004 wasn’t our best year because the touring was getting to me and I was a bit unwell, so I didn’t really feel that so well.

12MC: Was it time for a rest?

Yeah. We did the album (Highly Evolved) in 2001 and in the beginning of 2002, we were busy all that year and in 2003. And we went straight from playing shows to going to the studio. So by the time we got to that point we were like “yeah, time to take a break.”

12MC: Was there ever a point where you thought it might be the end for The Vines? Or was there something inside of you saying that the Vines will live long?

I thought we were going keep going, it just was a matter of time before we started again. We didn’t know when that would be.

12MC: So was it hard to convince others that the band was still alive and kicking? Or was it something people didn’t even ask?

Yeah, a lot of people didn’t ask because we were out of the public eye so I think people didn’t really care. ‘Cos we put out two albums but since we stopped doing anything I guess that’s when we don’t get much attention - which is only natural. But I always knew that we were going to do something.

12MC: How was it then to record Vision Valley with virtually no expectations? Did being out of the public eye allow you to go in and record the album under the radar?

Yeah it was cool because there wasn’t that pressure and we just felt like we could do what we wanted. We did it in Australia for the first time with Wayne Connolly and he was great to work with.

12MC: So it was a lot more of a laidback approach?

Yeah, because we were in New York when we did Winning Days and in LA for the first one. So, it was cool to be able to do that. And we got to go home at night.

12MC: And to your own bed – so that’s got to count for something.

Yeah, so it felt a little more relaxed.

12MC: Was Vision Valley like a dark diary for the last two years of your life?

Yeah, it was while I was in a pretty dark space when I wrote it. Some of it’s happy, but a lot of it’s kind of aggressive as well.

12MC: Are you enjoying playing the new material to an audience after having played the same songs from the first two records during your previous shows?

Yeah. Obviously we’ve played a lot of songs from the first and second album, but we still enjoy doing them. But most of the show is based around the new album, which is the way it is with most bands. But I’m not sick of playing the earlier ones because we had some time off, so it’s like they’re new again.

12MC: How did it feel stepping out on stage before the thousands of people at Splendour in the Grass as the surprise act?

That was amazing, it was a great reception.

12MC: Was it completely different walking out there compared to the secret ‘Joe Dirt’ show earlier that week?

I guess it was different because the crowd was a lot smaller when we played here (Annandale Hotel), but it was still a nice reception.

12MC: Since you had no permanent bassist at the time of recording Vision Valley, what was it like having Andy Kent from You Am I taking over the bass duties?

It was cool. We toured with them a couple of times before, so we kind of did know him a bit. But it was pretty amazing - I never thought that we would have a member of You Am I play on our album. And he’s a really cool guy.

12MC: Now you can check that off your to-do list: ‘make record with someone from You Am I’.

Yeah, done that (laughs).

12MC: Is there anything else you’d like to cross off that ‘to-do’ list with the band?

We’re kind of trying to keep the expectations pretty low. Even though we have had a lot of drive now, we want to really get back out there. We just want to keep doing albums. Hopefully the shows will get bigger, and with each album we get across to more people.

12MC: So there are some more albums up your sleeve?

Yeah, I’ve already got ten new songs, and we’re going to put out an album next year.

12MC: After this short Australian tour are there any more shows planned for the near future?

Yeah, we’re going to go to America in October.

12MC: In smaller capacity venues, like the ones you’re playing here now?

Yeah, we’re going to be doing clubs in New York, LA, Chicago and Boston. Just like the major cities.

12MC: When moving around the world with the band, is there a big difference between the fans in other countries compared to the fans back home?

Not really, it’s good everywhere. Like the fans are just into the albums and they come to the shows. All the time they’re very nice, so it’s really great.

Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:39 pm

Meet Me in the Bathroom - The Vines and the View on Tour Carnage!
Alex Miller
NME
September 30, 2006

The Vines' last tour ended with a court case and three years in recovery. The View are Britain's most riot-prone new rock explosion. So whose ideas was it to put them on tour together?

Welcome to the surprise package of 2006 -- The Vines' comeback tour. Last time it ended in handcuffs, a doctor's note and a three-year holiday, this time they've gone and brought Britain's wildest four-piece along. As far as support acts go, you'd be safer with a bomb full of snakes on a plane than The View, who specialise in turning gigs into riots and making Pete 'n Carl look like Will and Grace. One thing's for sure, they're not star-struck by their tour hosts.

"I don't know much about the Vines," confesses Kyle Falconer, broccoli-headed singer of Dundee's barnstormers. "Could you fill us in?"

So NME re-tells this cautionary tale to an eager audience. In 2002, led by Craig Nicholls, a sexy, rageful stoner with a McDonald's fetish and honours from The Muse School Of Space Cadettery, The Vines' grunge-pop debut 'Highly Evolved', was all-conquering. But live they were about as together as a K-hole full of conga eels. In 2004, a disappointing second record (the spectacularly mistitled 'Winning Days'), nomadic touring schedules and too much dope, appeared to signal the end as Craig was taken to court for assaulting a photographer at one of his gigs and subsequently diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. Their star had not just sunk; it had exploded in a napalm tsunami of skunk psychosis and tragic failure. One face in our audience looks shocked. "What do you mean he smoked too much weed, man?" gawps The View's drummer Steve Morrison. "I smoke loads of that shit, I didn't know it could fuck with you."

Dope habits aside, the two bands share many traits: meteoric hype, unpredictable live shows and trojan digestive systems -- minutes before The View are due onstage they're gobbling pizza at a rate Craig once devoured Big Macs.

"We just watched The Vines soundcheck and they looked wicked," says Kyle through a mouthful of pepperoni and beer. "He was dancing about all over me gear," adds moody, pin-up bassist Kieren Webster. "I left him to it --i t looked like he was in the zone." With tonight being The Vines' first UK show since his diagnosis, Kieren and Kyle's glimpse of Craig Nicholls is as close as anyone in this country has come to seeing them in years. In contrast it'd take a megatronic elephant to derail The View's clattering tour machine of spunk and booze.

"Whenever you're on a tourbus with them it's like The Lord of The Flies meets The Bash Street Kids," says 1965 Records' James Endeacott--who, having discovered them as well as The Libertines, knows a thing or two about bad rock star behaviour.

“They’re the funkiest people in the world, but also the naughtiest. Whatever they do, it always involves things which are illegal.”

Too true. The last time NME saw Kieren, he was being chucked out of the VIP room at a Justin Timberlake gig for upsetting a bouncer, while their single launch party a few weeks ago had to be broken up by the law.

“It was a riot!” Kieren laughs. “Too many people showed up and they wanted to cancel it, but everyone started singing, ‘We shall not be moved’ until we started playing.”

“The police turned up,” lead guitarist Pete Reilly continues “but they fell over in the rush and we managed to steal ourselves two policeman’s hats!”

And where The Vines have one iconic figure, The View have a pair. Kieren and Kyle are a songwriting partnership that’s rooted in shared experience and expressed in punk-rock poetry. Tonight, they take centre stage in Nottingham with incomprehensible charisma (we’re not being colourful, their Dundonean drawl is peanut-butter thick). ‘Wasted Little DJs’ may have cracked the Top 20, but it won’t be on its own for long. ‘Superstar Tradesman’ bounds round the set, with Kyle’s youthful lungs exploding with emotion, while ‘Skag Trendy’ sees Kieren taking centre-point, bouncing his way through its drug story. Unflappable and cocky, they bitch at the crowd. “Smile! It can’t be that bad living in Nottingham,” shrugs Kyle, before flinging himself into ‘Wasteland’’s punk-rock whirl.

If the crowd are hushed, it’s in nervous anticipation over which version of The Vines is going to turn up. The chest-beating rock titans of 2002? Or the braying and unpractised band of 2004? It takes five seconds to figure out.

“Rawareorr!!!” explodes Craig Nicholls, darting onstage like a demon and diving into ‘Dope Train.’ Three minutes of pogoing later, and as the song melts into a fizz, one voice pipes up: “Welcome home!” “Thanks,” replies Craig pulling hair from his eye. “It’s great to be back.” He may be heavier than the whippet we once knew (an effect of his Asperger’s medication), but, squint as he hurls himself into ‘Outtathaway!’, and you can still make out the crazed punk-child performances of old. And gone are Craig’s indecipherable wails, the attacks on his bandmates and the unfinished songs. In their place is a lightening bolt of a show.

“Tonight was OK,” mutters The Vines’ guitarist Ryan Griffiths, post-gig, as both bands mingle backstage, “but we can do better.”

Perhaps he’s right, but for a band playing a 20-song set when five was once an ordeal it was miraculous. Craig is feeling positive too.

“Last time we were here we played some good shows and some bad ones. We’re trying to make up for the bad ones, and tonight it went well, I think…thank God.” “It’s a relief to be back in England,” he continues with a wry smile. “It’s like starting again. It’s all very emotional.”

Out back, The View are toasting life with the gaggle of Scottish support that trails their tours. “They’re really good live, aren’t they?” Pete says of the headline act. “They’ve got the tricks. We just plug in and play.”

In fact The View have just found out they’ll be plugging along side The Vines at the Carling Weekend: Reading and Leeds Festivals on Saturday, after being crow-barred into the line-up at the 11th hour. The coming weekend will also provide the new band with their very first taste of bad press.

Fuck it, that review was wrong”, fumes Kyle over NME’s coverage of their Reading performance, three days later backstage at London’s Forum. “It said we didn’t pack the tent, but it was mobbed both times.”

The Vines are also in a reflective mood tonight. “It’s very weird being the older band,” say Craig. Ryan: “You can’t prepare anyone for a life like this. You’ve got to jump in at the deep end.”

Craig: “Last time we toured things went mad. Since I was a bit mad to begin with, I went totally mad. But now I feel good.” Why not? They’ve dispelled four years’ of shitty vibes in two days. Fast forward two hours, and the Forum’s roof is billowing as every kid inside empties their lungs into grunge-pop choruses. Having spent two hours before the show daubing stars on his face, Craig emerges onstage at rock o’clock in a cape, before setting the venues masonry quivering with bulldozing gonzo smashes like ‘Get Free’ and a climatic ‘Fuck the World.’

“We want to be bigger than we were before,” Craig grins later. “But mostly we just want to put on some amazing rock ‘n’ roll shows.” Against all odds, The Vines and The View have done just that.

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 260835894_d5153d8b74_o

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 260835900_54152dbf42_o

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Capedcraig

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Rooftop
Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:40 pm

Veni, Vines, Vici
Guitar (French)
April 2004

Devastators riffs, reminiscenses of the grungy Seattle, liverpudliens vocals harmony, 63 great vintage, the Australians from The Vines have with their "Winning Days", exceeded the buzz of "The" which appeared 3 years ago now. Now they're rockers in the noble term, taken along by an uncontrolled Craig Nicholls, who's capable to yell to death while he's throwing his guitar in the drum-kit and then you'll see him carry on with a ballad. A genius finally understood ?

Do you think "Winning Days" is better than "Highly Evolved" ?

C.N: Yeah, I think it's better. People will make their own opinion, some will say that it's worse (laughs), but....We had more time to work on it. For "Highly Evolved" it was the first time that we were working in a studio and with a producer...So we just played our songs. We didn't really have the opportunity to explore the musical universe that we're creating. This time we were able to make the songs that we all imagine.

When have been composed the songs of "Winning Days" ?

C.N: Some of them were already created after we recorded "Highly Evolved". For the others, we created them while we were touring, between two hotels...So half of them could have been on "Highly Evolved".

What's the significance of the title "Winning Days" ?

C.N: It's from the song of the same name. It's illustrating the fact that words can have different meanings, it all depends of the context. The title of the album seems like something positive, like if we're saying :"It's our second album, everything's fine for us..." or you can see it like : "Everything's good for everybody, it's a good time for rock...". But what I'm saying in the song is :"The winning days are gone". It's an idea that I have, I think everything is easier when you're young and your brain still can absorb all the bullshit we're serving you.

Do you make songs because there's an album to record or is it constant?

C.N: Oh! No, we love to write songs. Of course we want to make albums but for that we're only taking the best songs. It doesn't matter if there's some songs who won't be on an album. We had to choose a lot of songs when we made "Highly Evolved". For "Winning Days" too. The songwriting is the essence of the group.

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Guitarpartcoverji2

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Guitarpartsl6
Back to top Go down
braindead

braindead

PostSubject: the vines :magazines,interviews ,reviews...   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:29 pm

more magazines of the old forum

posted by claudio.alma(now braindead Very Happy )

cmj new music report 15 july 2002:
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 15july2002
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Cmj20021
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Cmj2

spin magazine:backstage pass
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Oct2002

spin magazine nov.2002 (craig nicholls)
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Nov02
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Vov2002

cmj new music: 2004
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Vinetapa
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 1-2
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 2-3
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 3-3
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 4-3
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 5-1

spin magazine. march 2004
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 Tapa-1
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 1-1
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 2-2
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 3-2
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 4-2
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 5-2
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 6-2
Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 7-3
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bye! flower

iceflames likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.www.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)   Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum) - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vines magazine and newspaper articles (from the old forum)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3