The Vines Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Wow alot of change with the Vines

Go down 
+7
chacha
Kitty
anaobrad
ohwellwhatevernevermind
Anysound
xermiona
Treestar
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
borgy

Wow alot of change with the Vines - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wow alot of change with the Vines   Wow alot of change with the Vines - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 7:45 am

Not many people would like to read this but imo The Vines are completely done.

Each of their last 3 albums has had worse commercial fortunes than the last.

Ivy League obviously had high hopes in Melodia having sent them to America again to work with their original producer from their successful period.

The way that album unfortunately came and went, i doubt they recouped the costs from those sessions, leading to the band being dropped and Ivy League did a good job promoting it, they seemed very visible in 2008.

And now Future Primitive being funded by the band but only making 24 on the ARIA charts with major label backing. That's flop number 3. They also stuffed up by releasing the song 'Future Primitive' as single 2.

Now they want to work on old Craig demo's as album 6. Those songs are awesome, but to me that says they're out of creative juice. Plus i bet they're bankrupt after the way Future Primitive only spent 1 week in the Australian top 50. So i wonder how they can afford another self funded risk?

I'll love the Vines forever, but with 3 commercial flops, rock music no longer in mainstream favour, band members leaving, playing smaller venues, lower on festival lineups and their song writing template staying pretty much the same for the last 3 records, it's a bit hard to see how they have a future. As evil as it is, they need money to live off and money to record albums.

They need to regain support from major media outlets like NME.

Back to top Go down
Kitty

Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Wow alot of change with the Vines   Wow alot of change with the Vines - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 10:22 am

borgy wrote:

Ivy League obviously had high hopes in Melodia having sent them to America again to work with their original producer from their successful period.

The way that album unfortunately came and went, i doubt they recouped the costs from those sessions, leading to the band being dropped and Ivy League did a good job promoting it, they seemed very visible in 2008.

And now Future Primitive being funded by the band but only making 24 on the ARIA charts with major label backing. That's flop number 3. They also stuffed up by releasing the song 'Future Primitive' as single 2.

Now they want to work on old Craig demo's as album 6. Those songs are awesome, but to me that says they're out of creative juice. Plus i bet they're bankrupt after the way Future Primitive only spent 1 week in the Australian top 50. So i wonder how they can afford another self funded risk?

I'll love the Vines forever, but with 3 commercial flops, rock music no longer in mainstream favour, band members leaving, playing smaller venues, lower on festival lineups and their song writing template staying pretty much the same for the last 3 records, it's a bit hard to see how they have a future. As evil as it is, they need money to live off and money to record albums.

This is what I exactly agree with. The future looks so bleak now.
Back to top Go down
http://assburgers-grrl.tumblr.com
(((A Name)))

PostSubject: Re: Wow alot of change with the Vines   Wow alot of change with the Vines - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 1:56 pm

I hope Sony will still support them Neutral
Back to top Go down
thelivingvines

PostSubject: Re: Wow alot of change with the Vines   Wow alot of change with the Vines - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 8:42 pm

borgy wrote:

Evening all, Tyler here. And a Merry Christmas to all.

Now, to business. Don't confuse popularity with quality. They aren't the same thing.

I agree that Melodia and Future Primitive were somewhat disappointing. But not because they weren't commercially successful. To me nearly every song recorded since Vision Valley has shown promise, but has been woefully underdeveloped. I don't doubt Craig's songwriting prowess, however, he is not writer who can spew an album out every two years. Songs need time to mature and ferment so that every idea has been tested, and all the best ones make it into a complete and well rounded song.

Yes, the Vines have been largely ignored by the musical media, and they haven't achieved huge sales. But that's not what any of us should be in it for.
Back to top Go down
anaobrad

anaobrad

PostSubject: Re: Wow alot of change with the Vines   Wow alot of change with the Vines - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 12:41 am

thelivingvines wrote:

Now, to business. Don't confuse popularity with quality. They aren't the same thing.

I agree that Melodia and Future Primitive were somewhat disappointing. But not because they weren't commercially successful. To me nearly every song recorded since Vision Valley has shown promise, but has been woefully underdeveloped. I don't doubt Craig's songwriting prowess, however, he is not writer who can spew an album out every two years. Songs need time to mature and ferment so that every idea has been tested, and all the best ones make it into a complete and well rounded song.

Yes, the Vines have been largely ignored by the musical media, and they haven't achieved huge sales. But that's not what any of us should be in it for.

YES, this is exactly how I see it! Craig seems to absolutely adore the idea of an album a year, which is fun for us, but he definitely isn't a song writer who can work to the best of his ability like that.
Back to top Go down
http://the-vines.tumblr.com
Treestar

Treestar

PostSubject: Re: Wow alot of change with the Vines   Wow alot of change with the Vines - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 4:11 am

thelivingvines wrote:

Hi Tyler and Merry Christmas. I don't agree. I think the band forms the music around Craig's songs and couldn't keep up musically. That's the harsh truth. Give him some musicians that can stretch the songs. I don't think Craig is challenged enough by his peers. Maybe he will meet talented players that will step up? This formula has run it's course and I'm ok with that. I'd like to see more of his music but we'll see!

Last edited by Treestar on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:15 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fixing quote)
Back to top Go down
Thinkhappythoughts67

Thinkhappythoughts67

PostSubject: Re: Wow alot of change with the Vines   Wow alot of change with the Vines - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 10:01 pm

Treestar wrote:
thelivingvines wrote:

Hi Tyler and Merry Christmas. I don't agree. I think the band forms the music around Craig's songs and couldn't keep up musically. That's the harsh truth. Give him some musicians that can stretch the songs. I don't think Craig is challenged enough by his peers. Maybe he will meet talented players that will step up? This formula has run it's course and I'm ok with that. I'd like to see more of his music but we'll see!

I completely agree, of course that the last albums weren't as succesfull as the first ones, but that doesn't mean they're not good enough, I feel that everything depends on Craig's creativity and maybe he needs musical partners that help him to develop more the songs, i mean, of course we don't know how the band works in the intimacy so maybe i'm wrong,. I wonder what they're going to do with the demos album. Crying or Very sad Anyway, Merry Chistmas to everyone! Hug
Back to top Go down
http://thinkhappythoughts67.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wow alot of change with the Vines   Wow alot of change with the Vines - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wow alot of change with the Vines
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2